HELP PLEASE! :) Cron <root@freenas> /bin/sh /usr/local/sbin/save_rrds.sh

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It looks like /data/ is read-only again, which it shouldn't be. It also looks like you have the system set to not save the rrd data on the system dataset, and if I'm following the logic of the save_rrds.sh script correctly that makes a difference in how it behaves. If you go into the web GUI to System -> System Dataset, are the boxes for syslog and reporting database checked? If not, try checking them both and saving, and see if that helps.

That's not going to work, the database is in /data

https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/9045

John, please feel free to monitor the bug and post any followups as you see fit. This is probably a bit outside the scope here. Definitely something is broken.

John Richardson

Explorer
Ok guys - thanks for your help!

Is this something I should worry about? Should I format the thumb and start anew or is this not something that will effect my data?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
This should not have any operational impact unless there's something else going on that isn't obvious.

Your best choices are:

1) Sit and wait it out, see if the bug report creates an aha moment for a developer, and take it from there

2) Reformat the USB and reconfigure the NAS from scratch. You cannot restore a saved config because there appears to be something wrong at the config level.

It'd be kinda good to wait around at least a bit and see if you can get some help through the bug report. If there's some defect found that resulted in your problem, you could be doing the next guy a real favor by helping get that bug fixed.

John Richardson

Explorer
Thanks for the input - I'll make a backup of my personal photo library etc that can't be replaced and wait it out.

Thanks for all your help,

John

John Richardson

Explorer
Does this mean anything?

upload_2015-4-3_16-20-58.png

cyberjock

Inactive Account
matchnames means that you have CIFS' "Hostname lookup" enabled, but your network doesn't support it. You can disable it to avoid the warnings.

What is the boot device size and model/brand? The ticket was closed to "cannot reproduce" which is what I was expecting when I read this thread. This is almost certainly not a software problem.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
This is almost certainly not a software problem.

Unless the poster twiddled stuff in the database, it is almost certainly a software problem. However, it is likely to be some sort of edge case, and it appears no one wants to figure it out.

John Richardson

Explorer
Hey everyone,

Problem solved!

So - I disabled hostname lookup and I'm not getting any more of those errors... then... while I was in the IPMI I selected option 10 - System Update, just for haha's as I was planning on having to format the drive and start over anyways.

It began, then at some point in the process it said something about that the system was read only and did I want to override (y/n) - so I said yes. The system updated, restarted, and now - perfecto - no system errors.

I don't know if this makes sense to anyone or whatever - but I thought I'd post it in case someone else had a similar problem.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Do you have a screenshot of this readonly error? If not, I'm not sure anyone can tell you what was going on as there's so much going on during an update that almost any theory could be true.

John Richardson

Explorer
Oh man - now that you mention it I should have done that... I was just throwing a hail mary as I was preparing to format the thumb drive and start anew.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You know,

Did we rule out corruption of the boot device / system files here?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You know,

Did we rule out corruption of the boot device / system files here?

Not supposed to happen (or should be obvious) with ZFS root... but, good question. It felt more like some sort of database upgrade issue to me, but that could be corruption I suppose.

John Richardson

Explorer
Yeah I don't know much other than what I posted previously (I'm new to linux / bsd / freenas) so I'm just starting to learn may way around...

Do you know if I can mirror my install onto a second thumb drive (like how in 9.3 you can install on two thumb drives to create redundancy in the freenas os - can you do that with a system that's already setup? Perhaps by creating a backup of the current system, then reformatting, setting the system to a mirrored two thumb system and then restoring from the backup once it's up and running...

Doing something like that might prevent future errors right?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You can add a second boot device any time you want. There's just a small "gotcha"---as of last check, the second boot device, unless you know how to perform the grub-install for the zfs filesystem, will not be bootable. This, and the fix, are elsewhere in the forum.

But yes, you can add another device to the boot pool.

Also @jgreco, I of course agree with you--it should either be obvious, or impossible, to have a corrupted boot pool given the ZFS. But what he was describing sure as hell sounded like it could have been caused by a couple of corruptions, so I ask.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Also @jgreco, I of course agree with you--it should either be obvious, or impossible, to have a corrupted boot pool given the ZFS. But what he was describing sure as hell sounded like it could have been caused by a couple of corruptions, so I ask.

I ALREADY CONCEDED IT WAS A GOOD QUESTION!

Status
Not open for further replies.