Help, New Mainboard ASUS F1A55-M LX Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Leto

Cadet
Purchased the new ASUS F1A55-M LX Plus and the onboard NIC is not working. It is the 8111E Realtec to my knowledge. Won't DHCP and the static I set won't work either. Can't access the GUI VIA the Web obviously.

Using the latest stable 8.2 p1 64 Bit build. I also tried my old install from previous hardware USB 8.0.4 I believe and it wasn't working either.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

John

John Leto

Cadet
I can ping the ip address i set the nic to in the console, I set the default gateway, static, and netmask properly but I can't ping the gateway. Doing an IP config on the console it looks like everything is fine with re0 but I can't get out or in through the network... very frustrating.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Have you tried an Intel NIC? Those "just work"...

I have one machine that has a realtek card(not sure which one) and I had to hunt down the .ko file and manually load it for FreeNAS for the card to work. It does work, but I'm not expecting the .ko file to work when FreeNAS moves to FreeBSD 9.

John Leto

Cadet
For now I just got things back up and running on an old dell 8300 box. I really hate having to spend more for a pcie nic when there should be a perfectly good Realtek 8111E onboard.

John Leto

Cadet
Ok, booted into the latest Ubuntu using USB and the NIC is working just fine. So, anyone know why Freenas 8.2 or 8.3 64 bit installed directly to USB 2GB key on Windows using imagewriter and the .img wouldn't work with the Realtek 8111E controller?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Ok, booted into the latest Ubuntu using USB and the NIC is working just fine. So, anyone know why Freenas 8.2 or 8.3 64 bit installed directly to USB 2GB key on Windows using imagewriter and the .img wouldn't work with the Realtek 8111E controller?

Why would you try Ubuntu? You DO know that FreeBSD is NOT linux, at all.

Stephens

Patron
I think he was just trying to verify the on-board NIC isn't bad (to eliminate that as a cause for his problems).

I was actually curious if the on-board NIC is a 8111E. I believe the 8111F isn't supported out of the box until... 8.3 (?) and some of ASUS's boards are using that chipset now. Looking at the board on ASUS's site, I believe the NIC was unspecified. NewEgg says it's a 8111E, but *shrug*. And really, I don't know how much an intel NIC costs, but I'm amazed at how much pain people will put themselves through over $30. This thread will run longer than it would have taken to get a NIC that works.

John Leto

Cadet
Yeah, I was just confirming that the new Mother Board was functioning properly and that the NIC does work. According to ASUS the board, a revision 2., is using 8111E. Keep in mind Freenas can see it and I can configure it, it just doesn't actually work short of pinging itself successfully. I grabbed a Broadcom gbe nic (BCM5722) out of a dell that I am not using, going to give it a try tonight. Just bummed that with no errors and configuring the onboard it wouldn't function which everything points to the 8111E as functioning with the latest release.

Status
Not open for further replies.