Help needed for configuration

Fredetchic

Cadet
Hi!

I’m new to NAS and this is my first attempt to build a DIY NAS. I’m in Canada so keep that in mind for suggested parts (sometimes not avail in Canada and currency + custom fees may be prohibitive) ;)

The reason why I’m not buying a ready-to-go NAS is that I have an old PC I underuse (or that actually works as video storage), and another that I will dedicate to photo editing. I know it certainly won’t be perfect but keep in mind that this if for family use! Also, budget is limited!

So, here are the specs and uses I would like to have for this NAS.

• Using existing computer parts. Some can be upgraded but except if my “needs” are unrealistic, don’t tell me about buying new MOBO or so.
  • Main use: giving access to HDD on devices on my LAN (TV, android tv box, PCs, Cellphones) for movies, music, photos, files (pdf, words, etc…)
  • Not intensive use: I would say from time to time for big files (movies) and light regular basis for documents (word, pdf…)
  • Backup (RAID equivalent or archiving depending of files) for some files only (don’t care that much to lose movies or music for example)
On occasional basis (rarely) if possible, having access to these files over Internet (cloud-like, even though this is more a ready only access) like photos or maybe movies (last one is really an extra, not intended to be a must-have!)

My actual parts available:

Mobo: ASUS P5Q Deluxe
  • 6 SATA 3.0 Gb/s ports
  • 2 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots, support ATI CrossFireX™ technology at x8 link (* PCIe x16_1 blue, * PCIe x16_2 black)
  • * Blue one is used for graphic card but can get a ride of it if needed I guess after setup!
  • * Black one = not used
  • 1 x PCI Express x16 slot at max. x4 link (black) = not used
  • 2 x PCI Express x1 slots = not used
  • 2 x PCI slots = not used
  • Dual Gigabyte LAN controllers: Onboard Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller + Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Memory: 8192 Mo (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM), all slots used, max reached

Proc: DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E8500, 3166 MHz (9.5 x 333)

UPS: Cyberpower CP1000AVRLCD / Capacity: 1000 VA / 600 W

HDD and SSD I got an/or plan to buy + config I was considering

For OS / Boot device
  • To buy: Kingston 240GB A400 SATA 3 2.5 inch Internal SSD SA400S37/240G = For OS (I know it’s too big but used one are as much expensive, so…)
  • Own: SSD Crucial Crucial_CT256MX100SSD1 240GB: mirror of Kingston 240GB

For Cache (I know that all drive will have as well some cache in creating pool, but was wondering if this dedicated SDD would compensate lack of memory…)
  • To buy: WD Red SA500 NAS 500GB 3D NAND Internal SSD

For Data to be protected (I already have external backup for these files, but it won't be plugged on NAS)
  • Own: WDC WD20EURS-63S48Y0 2To = for photos (will need access for editing from other computer) (1To max to be archived)
  • Own: ST31000528AS 1To for archiving WDC

For “casual data” not to be backed up, small documents like pdf, word and such (already sync with Gdrive + on laptop)
  • Own: WDC WD2500AAKS-00VSA0 250Go
  • Own: ST3320620AS 300Go

For movies, music, to be available over LAN (similar way than Plex but more like android tv box with its own player)
  • Own: WDC WD30EZRZ-00Z5HB0 3To
  • Own: WDC WD10EZEX-22MFCA0 1To

As I don’t have that many SATA ports, I was thinking to extend SATA capacities with a PCIE card like:
  • MZHOU PCIe SATA Card 6 Port, 6Gbps SATA 3.0 PCIe Card,Support 6 SATA 3.0 Devices, with 6 SATA Cables &SATA Power Splitter Cable and Low Profile Bracket(JMB575+1061 Chip)
  • Or
  • Ziyituod SATA Card, 4 Port with 4 SATA Cables, 6 Gbps SATA Controller PCI Express Expression Card with Low Profile Bracket, Boot as System Disk, Non Raid, Support 4 SATA 3.0 Devices
Considerations:

I will need to buy extra HDDs for the computer I will keep for photo editing (even though I use it less than in the past but want to keep possibility for that), and to some extent, for the NAS since my actual HDD are loaded and the musical chair game will be painful as all HDD have to formated in ZFS + mirroring. I have option to buy new HDD or use an existing one listed above.

I may consider as well buying a small SSD for OS (win 7… yeah, I know, old computer that doesn’t support win10…)

I know I have to test HDD before running NAS, just to make sure they are fine so may be I'll discover I need to change some since they could be unhealthy for NAS.

My questions are oriented to stability and minimal requirement for a NAS. This NAS won't be intensively used, files do not have to be accessible 24h/7, no data to be used for work.

So, does this planned use/ config for devices make sens?
Does it make sens in terms of performance to add a pcie card for SATA extension or will I get trouble?
What about SSD for cache? Useful?

Thanks for inputs ;)

Fred