Help choosing a 2U 12-Bay case - PSU sizing check / case sanity check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Yes, but is the second connection necessary? And if it isn't, does it do anything?
As far as the C2100/FS12-TY is concerned, the manual actually says that each port is supposed to be for 6 of the 12 drives. However, that really doesn't appear to be the case. I have both SAS and SATA Drives (in different systems) and both work fine with just one or two cables attached (have done both scenarios). I can however see where two may be a benefit where SAS may be concerned.

Stux

MVP
As far as the C2100/FS12-TY is concerned, the manual actually says that each port is supposed to be for 6 of the 12 drives. However, that really doesn't appear to be the case. I have both SAS and SATA Drives (in different systems) and both work fine with just one or two cables attached (have done both scenarios). I can however see where two may be a benefit where SAS may be concerned.

When I looked into sas expanders, it appeared that 'in theory' it should just double the bandwidth, and as a benefit I guess, provide redundancy on the links/HBA too.

Ie you could use a 6 port (i.e. 6 x sff-8087) expander with 1->5 for 20 drives (1.2gbps/drive). Or 2->4 for 16 drives (3gbps per drive), but twice the bandwidth. 3->3 did not make sense ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.