Hello to all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joebpa

Dabbler
Thanks for having me. I'm glad to be a part of this forum. I'm running a decently configured system to manage my media/videos. I have tested the VM's but they don't quite work yet. I love to learn new tricks so fire away if you have some.

I look forward to talking with you all.

GA-78LMT-USB3
AMD FX(tm)-4300 Quad-Core Processor
16 Gig RAM
Dell ADAPTEC 2610sa Pci-x SATA RAID Controller 6-port
2 x PNY 16GB USB Drives
6 x 1TB WD drives
Version 11 now.
Plex and attempted VM, but just not there yet.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
you are using a RAID controller with FreeNAS?

joebpa

Dabbler
you are using a RAID controller with FreeNAS?
Yes, but in a different way. My card is used for physical connection only. The 6 drives are configured as RAID-0. So FreeNAS see's them as individual drives. I let FreeNAS RAIDZ1 them. I should have clarified each drive is it's own RAID-0

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
That's the wrong way of doing it. FreeNAS needs direct access to the disks. The way you have it set up now you will not be able to read SMART data or identify problem disks. Get a proper HBA and rebuild your pool before you commit any important data to it.

The resource section at the top of the page would be a good place to go and do some research on what you need and how to set it up.

joebpa

Dabbler
Yes, but in a different way. My card is used for physical connection only. The 6 drives are configured as RAID-0. So FreeNAS see's them as individual drives. I let FreeNAS RAIDZ1 them.
I should have clarified each drive is it's own RAID-0
That's the wrong way of doing it. FreeNAS needs direct access to the disks. The way you have it set up now you will not be able to read SMART data or identify problem disks. Get a proper HBA and rebuild your pool before you commit any important data to it.

The resource section at the top of the page would be a good place to go and do some research on what you need and how to set it up.
Thanks for the info. Money is always an issue. Now that i think about it I was never able to grab SMART data. I have just done without. I'm planning on a newer system so I will ensure i grab a proper HBA. If you have any recommended ones that you use I'm open to suggestions. Thanks again fro replying. Do you think this configuration may be why i am having my other issue during 11.1-U1 upgrade.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I should have clarified each drive is it's own RAID-0
No need to clarify, I understood your post hence my reply.
If you have any recommended ones that you use I'm open to suggestions.
The hardware guide in the resources section at the top of the page is where you want to look.
Do you think this configuration may be why i am having my other issue during 11.1-U1 upgrade.
Hard to say but your hardware is not optimal for FreeNAS.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Let me ask a dumb question. You have 6 drives. The GA-78LMT-USB3 has 6 SATA ports. Why do you have a RAID controller at all?

joebpa

Dabbler
My original configuration was running on a Intel MB that did not have the ports available. Hence I had to use a card I had on the shelf to connect the 6 drives. I have since replaced the motherboard to one that has the support for 6. Now it is re-build time.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Whenever using the direct SATA ports on the motherboard is an option, that should be what is done, 100% of the time.

joebpa

Dabbler
Thanks DrKK. I have redesigned my system to make use of the onboard SATA ports. Now I have all 6 drives connected to the onboard SATA ports. 2 external 16GB USB drives. I was successful installing 11.1-U1 and began my verification of settings. There system appears to be working well and SMART is functioning. SMART had issues at first because it turned on USB drives SMART by default. I had to manually disable that to get SMART to work correctly. I was getting errors until i changed it. It appears all good now. Now i'm at my next problem. Installing PLEX. I followed my previous instructions to setup PLEX, but when attempting to search for a media folder it doesn't display the path correctly. I think i will begin my search in the forums for others that are running into this issue. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.