Hello -New User to FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parts are starting to come in for my FreeNAS server build after getting a wild hair to upgrade last week lol

I wanted something to run plex, and something more managble than what I had. My previous set-up was Plex running on a dedicated Win 7 with 6 individual drives for storage in a rack mount server case.

Here is what I have going in, some parts new some, repurposed, some used. Most of this is from doing research on what works best with FreeNas and guides found on the site.

1. Fractal Design Node 804 Case
2. Supermicro MBD-X1010S7 Micro ATX Motherboard (14 onboard sata ports !)
3. Intel Xeon E3-1220 v3 SR154 3.1GHz Quad Core CPU
4. Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU fan
5. Hynix 32GB PC3-12800E DDR3 1600MHz ECC (4 x 8gb)
6. 10 x 3 tb hard drives in a Raid-Z2 configuration
7. 2 x PNY 16 GB flash drives to run freenas. One mirrored off the other for backup
8. Two 256 SSD’s, once for Plex jail and other for cache
9. CORSAIR - CX-M Series 650W ATX power supply

I already had six 3 TB 7200 RPM drives from my old set-up. I just grabbed four more for this project. I know I really should be using red 5400 rpm drives but that would have driven the cost up more. In the future if I have to replace one, I do it with a red drive.

And for good measure and stability I grabbed a APC Pro 1500va UPS to keep the NAS running long enough to do a clean shutdown if the power fails

I can't wait, this is going to be a fun set-up..if anyone has any tips or suggestions as I go...by all means let me know

m0nkey_

MVP
Welcome to the forums :)
and other for cache
I wouldn't bother. There are only a limited set of circumstances where you will need a SLOG or L2ARC. For your use case, you will not need one. It'll be better off using both drives in a mirrored vdev for your jails.

Status
Not open for further replies.