Hello from Montenegro! First build :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jo Poc

Cadet
Hello guys, i have been visiting this forum for the last 6 months and decided to try my luck with Freenas. I am from Montenegro (no problem if you don't know where it is :)) I have some experience in IT so i am not a complete noob. Joeshmuck's posts made me go for AMD build :)
Specs:
Asus M5A78L-M USB3
Kingston 16BG (4x4GB)*
AMD FX4300 3.8GHz
WD Red 5x3TB (raidz1, it will be raidz2 soon)
Thermaltake Kandalf (i have it since 2008.)
Thermaltake Smart SE 630W SPS-630M
APC UPS

It does it's job. This was a test build so i did not put my important files there, just played arround with services and media. I will do that as soon as I set up raidz2. I did not have any problem with Realtek NIC but i am not a heavy user.

*Initial configuration was made with Non-ECC Kingston because it was so hard/expensive to get ECC here.
I have saved some money for ECC but i am not sure which modules will work on this board. I have done forum/google research but without luck (i need at least 4x4GB modules). I have to be sure that specific modules will work because shipping to my country is very expensive and it has to be compatible out of the box. This noob will appreciate any help/suggestion. Thanks, looking forward to participating in future forum discussions:)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

INCSlayer

Contributor
Last edited:

Jo Poc

Cadet
Thanks for the reply and Kingston info. I was thinking about Crucial but when I go to their website and check compatibility with this mb they offer modules that are not on this QVL list. Maybe I am not reading correctly.
I will not add more disks to this build because this is already an overkill for me so 16GB or RAM should be enough. I mentioned 4x4 because I though that lots of smaller modules are cheaper, at least on eBay. Thanks again for the reply.

gpsguy

I would feel confident about buying the RAM from Crucial, even if it's not on the QVL.

I have the same motherboard [running Win 7 Pro] and bought 2x4GB DIMMs of ECC RAM directly from Crucial about a year ago. Crucial part number was: CT51272BD1339, though looks like it's discontinued now.

Maybe we can get @joeschmuck to tell us what RAM he's using.

btw, welcome to the forums!

Status
Not open for further replies.