Hello! Intro, and my Freenas build plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIGISTX

Guru
I am a pretty big hardware junkie. I have been building PC’s since I was about 14 (to be fair, I am only 24….), but I am always way up on the happenings on the desktop side of stuff. I jumped on the c2d e6750 after my Pentium D, and followed that up with a i7 920 OCed to 3.82 at UNDER STOCK VOLTS (golden chip much?!?). Anyways, right now I am running a 4770k @ 4.4 with a custom loop cooling it and my r9 290, 16 gigs of XMS 3 2133 and RAID 0 Samsung 840 256’s, I will post some pix, I am pretty happy with how it turned out. There was some custom milling involved to get a reference R9 290 block to fit on my HIS (it was CHEAP!) card which isn’t 100% reference designed. Honestly, I will post a link to my build thread on Linus Tech Tip Forum.

My Rig

I also currently have a NAS that two buddies and I went in on, and seeing as they will be living together soon and I will not be near them, I figure its time to make the jump and do things right! ZFS and freenas here we come. My current nas is running openmediavault and has 8x3TB drives, some low power components, and it’s in a custom build wood PC case. I will post a link to my nas as well, it is pretty cool ;)

My Nas

Little more about myself, I am about to graduate from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo with a Masters in Industrial Engineering, and have always been into tech and cars. I have a pretty beastly 2012 Mustang V6, autocross ready, and I will be hitting lots of autox’s this coming summer for sure!

Onto a bit of an intro of my planned freenas build, I will be posing in other subforums for more input and info on specifics, but I figure this would be a fine place to throw up an overview of my plan:

I read a lot about WD greens and making them have a 300 second timeout instead of the 8 seconds, so based on this I am planning 8x4 TB WD greens (unless someone confirms this no longer works, in which case I will man up and get Reds) in RAIDZ2

Intel Pentium G3240 (I already have one sitting around, and it supports ECC RAM, so we good!)
SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLL-F-O uATX Server Motherboard
Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Server Memory Model CT2KIT102472BD160B
Fractal Design Define R5
SeaSonic 450 watt PSU

And I will have to purchase one of the famed IBM LSI RAID cards and flash it to IT mode as the mobo I chose will not support greater than 6 drives. A Supermicro board that does 8 costs like 200 bucks more that I found, so that is a pointless expenditure. Just get the RAID card.

Hope you guys can help me figure out some things, tweak the build if you see any issues (is that a good PSU choice? I am usually partial to corsair, but the “C” series I don’t trust for a server, and Seasonic I know is a GREAT name, just not sure if this model is a great choice).

Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Welcome to the forum.

gpsguy

Given how there's little difference in cost between the WD Reds and the Greens, I'd go with the Reds instead.

The Seasonic power supply is an excellent choice. If you like the modular cable approach consider the SSR-450RM (also 450 Watts) for about $10 more. A number of FreeNAS users (including myself) like Seasonic.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
And I will have to purchase one of the famed IBM LSI RAID cards and flash it to IT mode as the mobo I chose will not support greater than 6 drives. A Supermicro board that does 8 costs like 200 bucks more that I found, so that is a pointless expenditure. Just get the RAID card.

Have you looked at the Supermicro X10SL7-F?

LIGISTX

Guru

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Given how there's little difference in cost between the WD Reds and the Greens, I'd go with the Reds instead.

And taking into consideration the discussions that have taken place lately on TLER I'd go with red's as well. I set my server up with 6 green drives but my next vdev will be reds.

Status
Not open for further replies.