Hello from Melbourne Australia

CEH1934

Dabbler
While I've been a forum member for some months, I have only fully setup my TrueNAS system in the last two weeks. I have to admit that after an early trial of FreeNAS I tried Unraid but came back to FreeNAS because it has very useful functions like Cloud Sync and generally seems to be stable and well supported. I have found the forum and its members very helpful.

My aim is for family members and I to use it both to offload large file collections (like OneDrive) and to share some files. We mainly use Office, photo managers and music. With that aim, I have built a fairly high capacity system -- a good motherboard and plenty of disks.

Having settled on TrueNAS I am now looking forward to making good use of its functions and enjoying the experience. I had a long career in corporate IT and have built and used Windows and Mac systems since the '90s. But I am very much a newbie in Linux and NAS.

TrueNAS Core 12.0-U2
Supermicro X11SCL-LN4F, Fractal Design Node 804, i5-9100F, 16GB ECC RAM
Boot: Samsung SM951 NVMe 128GB (from a previous Hackintosh build)
4x Seagate IronWolf 4TB disks, as RAID Z1, 2x Crucial MX500 500GB log, mirror
Cyber Power BR850 UPS

Last edited:

CEH1934

Dabbler
Hey CEH1934,

Can I ask where did you purchase your parts from? did you purchase them locally?

Hi sk1ba -- The sources were:
Supermicro X11SCL-LN4F websales@pbtech.com (Sydney office of NZ company)
Node 804 ) Scorptec online
Intel 9100F i3 )
Kingston PC4-21300 ECC RAM )
Silverstone 650W Strider Gold S)
WD 240GB SSD Green )
Seagate Iron Wolf 4TB (3) Umart in Queensland

Hope that helps.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
While I've been a forum member for some months, I have only fully setup my TrueNAS system in the last two weeks. I have to admit that after an early trial of FreeNAS I tried Unraid but came back to FreeNAS because it has very useful functions like Cloud Sync and generally seems to be stable and well supported. I have found the forum and its members very helpful.
Welcome... I'm also a melbourne boy, so you have some strings you can pull. Cheers. Morgan

sk1ba

Cadet
Awesome.
I would love to get some help building out a Truenas core box for 2K
I've spent the morning looking at a HPE MicroServer Gen10+ as simple/easy way to get started but the fact of losing one of the 4 drive bays to the OS sucks!

Welcome... I'm also a melbourne boy, so you have some strings you can pull. Cheers. Morgan
Nice to know there's some local talent on the iXsystems team.