HDD Question for the Gurus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_N

Patron
So I currently have a pool in my FreeNAS with 2 vdev's of 6 HDD's which are all 4TB SAS 512n drives.

With the bigger drives being 4Kn or 512e these days I was wondering if there are going to be any problems adding a vdev of 4Kn drives when I next increase storage?

Or should I keep using 512e Drives?

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm not positive, haven't look into it in a while but I believe the 4K drives still offer 512 byte emulation. You do ask an interesting question. So are your drives currently writing 4k blocks, meaning was the pool created in 4k sectors? If they are writing in 4k blocks then it should be blind to the system when you add 4k drives, it should work slightly better I'd think. Which new drives are you looking at?

Mr_N

Patron
nah given they are native 512 I doubt the pool is doing 4K unless that was the default when i made it...
can i get that info from a CLI cmd?

Stux

MVP
You can, I forget the details but you're looking for the ashift of the pool. You want 12 not 9.

joeschmuck

Old Man
When I created my pool many years ago I ensured I had setup 4k on the proper boundary and I have an ashift value of 12. Here is how you check it.
Code:
zdb -U /data/zfs/zpool.cache | grep ashift

joeschmuck

Old Man

Arwen

MVP
Or just zpool get ashift.
This does not work on the current FreeNAS 9.x.

I do use that with ZFS on Linux. It's possible it was a ZOL feature that has not yet been ported
to the rest of the OpenZFS projects. Or that FreeNAS 9.x is a little behind.

Mr_N

Patron
So my pool reports ashift of 12

Does this mean it would be better to add 4Kn drives?

Stux

MVP
It means your pool operates in multiples of 4KiB.

If you had 9, then it would be operating in multiples of 512 bytes (0.5KiB), and that would not work well with 4K drives... since it'd be writing partial blocks continuously.

So, 4K drives are fine, and frankly, more modern.

Mr_N

Patron
sounds good :)

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Does this mean it would be better to add 4Kn drives?
It means there will be no performance penalty when using advanced format a.k.a. AF drives, i.e. drives with 4K physical sectors. Older drives with 512B sectors will work fine too.

Status
Not open for further replies.