New Setup Question

DeWebDude

Explorer
Time to update my current TrueNAS setup, currently running RAID 10 w/10k SAS Drives on a 6GB.
Now I'm looking at putting in 8 drives in a raid 10 (4 Each Stripe) but these will be 4TB SSD 12GB (4KN) using a LSI 9300-16i.

My potential issues are, will I have a problem with 4KN?
For performance, I of course will have a ton of RAM in the server, but since it's SSD does it make sense to have SSD Cache drives?
Not sure if I will have somewhere to plug them in since I'll have an 8Bay 1 U HP server.

Any information is appreciated!

Thanks!

Policy0702

Cadet
This post discusses 4Ke drives which implies that 4Kn drives should be fine.

How would a cache help you? A stripe across 4 ssds is much faster than one SSD so adding a cache would just be introducing a bottleneck. (In theory you could stripe the cache across multiple drives but at your scale, a cache will be a liability that you don't want)

ChrisRJ

Wizard
There is no RAID 10 with ZFS. Do you mean multiple mirror vdevs underpinning a single pool?

You provide zero information about the hardware you intend to use and the scenario it is meant for. That way it is not possible to help you. Please check the forum rules (link in red at the top of this page) what information (esp. at what level of detail) is needed to help you.

DeWebDude

Explorer
This post discusses 4Ke drives which implies that 4Kn drives should be fine.

How would a cache help you? A stripe across 4 ssds is much faster than one SSD so adding a cache would just be introducing a bottleneck. (In theory you could stripe the cache across multiple drives but at your scale, a cache will be a liability that you don't want)
In respect to the cache, I know when you run a hard drive array you would put in an SSD cache drive to improve performance, but if running an SSD array, not sure it would be of any value.

DeWebDude

Explorer
There is no RAID 10 with ZFS. Do you mean multiple mirror vdevs underpinning a single pool?

You provide zero information about the hardware you intend to use and the scenario it is meant for. That way it is not possible to help you. Please check the forum rules (link in red at the top of this page) what information (esp. at what level of detail) is needed to help you.
I provided my conceptual config for a new array, since in my mind running raid 0, then mirrored I didn't think about how ZFS looks at it.
This is my current setup for the array.
What I'm trying to do is improve performance by running 12GB SAS SSD's. Because some scenarios I have been reading about 4kn drives I wanted to avoid any pitfalls, as well as make sure running that my new concept would be optimal.

Thanks

1691310785270.png

For performance, I of course will have a ton of RAM in the server, but since it's SSD does it make sense to have SSD Cache drives?
This is the part that needs a bit more info. When you say ‘a ton of RAM’ are we talking 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, 512GB or more?

The part about cache really depends on your workload and protocol neither of which you mention.