Have 16GB and 60GB SSDs... which one for Boot? Suggested use for the other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

r0b0ty

Dabbler
Hello all.

I am very close to completing my first FreeNAS build (just waiting on a CPU heatsink bracket in the mail). While I wait, I wanted to get your opinion on the use of two SSDs that I have at my disposal. I initially bought a 16GB, based on the recommended FreeNAS minimum requirements, but then bought another 60 GB SSD.

Which would you suggest that I use as the Boot drive? I am not ready to explore ZIL and LARC, as I'm quite the noob, but what would you recommend that I do with the second SSD? Use as a the Jail drive (is that even an option)?

Anyway, your suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

kdragon75

Wizard
You could certainly use the 60GB for the jails. It would be added as its own one disk pool in the volume manager. I cant say much more without knowing your intended uses and full hardware setup.

r0b0ty

Dabbler
@kdragon75 My plan is to have a simple Mirror VDev (two 4 TB WD Red NAS drives) - and use a third 4 TB WD Red as my backup drive. I'll be running an older Intel Xeon E3-1240 (3.3 GHz) CPU with 16 GB DDR3 ECC RAM on (again) an older SuperMicro X9SCM-F motherboard. The main purpose of this build is for personal/home use: to store existing family photos and to use it as a backup of day-to-day files going forward (documents, drawings, photos, etc.). I plan to use Syncthing to seamlessly sync our "Documents" folders (and others) from our respective laptops to the FreeNAS box... and some other tool (rSync?) to back up data to that third 4 TB drive. In the near future, I'd like to be able to access files from outside the firewall, so some tool or setup to allow for that would be nice (NextCloud?). Apart from this, I don't have any other plans at the moment. Due to these tools, however, I expect to use Jails.

Adding the 60 GB SSD for Jails "...as its own one disk pool in the volume manager..." is that done during the FreeNAS installation process or after? When is it advised to do so if I go this route?

Thanks for your response!

kdragon75

Wizard
You will do this after the wizard, I think. Its been so long.. I would just skip the wizard and use the User Guide.

sretalla