Boot Device status is degraded - on new m2 SSD

mindgam3s

Cadet
Hello there,

maybe you can help me out.
I just bought a WD Green m2 SSD as primary boot device in order to have a more reliable way of storing the boot data than using USB sticks which really tend to fail fast sometimes.

anyways, I installed the latest stable freenas (10.2) on the m2 SSD and everythintg seems fine.
after booting into the system with no problem I get the alert in the upper right corner that my boot device status is DEGRADED with an error resulting in data corruption.

EDIT: I even tried the latest stable freenas 10.0

I was worried and installed Windows 10 just to check whether everything is alright. running some tools to verify disk integrity resulted in everything beeing okay from windows side.

so I installed freenas again, same alert.

Can I rely on that message being wrong or is there any known bug when using m2 SSDs ?

Please help me out :x

Attachments

• zpool_status.PNG
    zpool_status.PNG
    21.2 KB · Views: 373
  • errors.PNG
    errors.PNG
    43.4 KB · Views: 408
You'll need to google it or search the forum, I only know the Trasncend S370 and Intel 320 work OK, since those are the ones I used.

mindgam3s

Cadet
what a bad situation :(
have to send it back then...

is there any m2 SSD that has been tested with freenas and works fine?

mindgam3s

Cadet
You'll need to google it or search the forum, I only know the Trasncend S370 and Intel 320 work OK, since those are the ones I used.

are there some manufacturers that are more reliable than others?
I dont know where to start looking for a fitting m2 ssd

It appears some SSD controllers are more affected than other, Samsung devices should work fine since they use their own, but never tested.