Has anyone installed Hass.io onto Scale in docker?

oumpa31

Patron
Home assistant from Truecharts runs great but it is the Core version lacking the ability to have Add-ons and Supervisor. I have been looking for a solid week trying to find a write up or anything on how to install it and none of the writeups are valid anymore. An add-on to get cheap Temp sensors I can't use. Any help would be appreciated even if it means I need to create a VM to run it.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
For now, just create a VM and run Hass-os on it.

oumpa31

Patron
For now, just create a VM and run Hass-os on it.
I'm guessing I need the X86 version. but when I download it, it is a .img.xz image how would I go about using that image.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Generally you're probably better to use the VirtualBox image if you're going to do that:

With that .vdi file (you may need to unzip it with a tool like 7z) you can then write it into a sparse zvol with dd, then point your VM at that zvol as it's boot drive.

dd if=/mnt/tank/downloads/hassio.vdi of=/dev/zvol/SSDVM/VM/HassIO bs=1024k (edit paths to suit)

tprelog

Patron
There is a thread in the Home Assistant forum -- It was intended for VM on CORE but it may still be helpful

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Which reminds me we're working with scale here and I should have suggested KVM instead of VirtualBox. The rest of what I said still works though.

oumpa31

Patron
Generally you're probably better to use the VirtualBox image if you're going to do that:

With that .vdi file (you may need to unzip it with a tool like 7z) you can then write it into a sparse zvol with dd, then point your VM at that zvol as it's boot drive.

dd if=/mnt/tank/downloads/hassio.vdi of=/dev/zvol/SSDVM/VM/HassIO bs=1024k (edit paths to suit)
I was able to get it copied to the ZVol but when I start it up nothing happens when i look at it in VNC it gets stuck on the Black screen wont run page

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
if you type exit at the prompt do you get the BIOS settings?

ClassicGOD

Contributor
  1. Create VM: UEFI Boot Method and at least 32GB drive are required. I suggest VirtIO for HDD and NIC. Don't boot it yet.
  2. From shell as root:
    1. cd to a directory you can safely write to
    2. wget https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/releases/download/6.6/haos_ova-6.6.qcow2.xz
    3. unxz haos_ova-6.6.qcow2.xz
    4. qemu-img convert -O raw haos_ova-6.6.qcow2 /dev/zvol/your_pool/path/to/your/vm/zvol/haos-zvol
    5. wait few minutes until last command finishes
  3. Boot the vm
  4. Enjoy your new HA instalation.

oumpa31

Patron
  1. Create VM: UEFI and at least 32GB drive are required. I suggest VirtIO for HDD and NIC. Don't boot it yet.
  2. From shell as root:
    1. cd to a directory you can safely write to
    2. wget https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/releases/download/6.6/haos_ova-6.6.qcow2.xz
    3. unxz haos_ova-6.6.qcow2.xz
    4. qemu-img convert -O raw haos_ova-6.6.qcow2 /dev/zvol/your_pool/path/to/your/vm/zvol/haos-zvol
    5. wait few minutes until last command finishes
  3. Boot the vm
  4. Enjoy your new HA instalation.
ok ill try that now

ClassicGOD

Contributor
ok ill try that now
Let us know if it works, I tested it on test VM before posting but I never know if instructions I write are easy to follow or if they make sens only in my mind.

sretalla