Hardware passthrough of sensor ( drive temp sensors TNS (true nas scale))

SomeFanGuy

Cadet
First time poster some please don't bully me too much.

So the basic outline of what I want to do is build a docker container that has by some means (assumably hardware passthrough of the sensors) access to the temps of (a) my drives and (b) some MB sensors like cpu / vrm and such.

It does seem hardware passthrough is supported to some extent since Plex is able to have a GPU passthrough.

I'm open to other methods of obtaining this data but ideally I want this to run in a container

ok but why? on a previous system running windows server 2019 I had a cool little program to read the temps and then use a little webserver to say hi to an ESP8226 that would use its multiple PWM capable pins to control different fans.

this was done for a few different reasons the main one being the dell case allowed some very nice ssds to get a lot hotter then I would like under load.

This was a really nice system because I could tune it through a nice little webui. Really just a dream to use.

One of the other things that was really nice was the ability to use actual physical digital temp sensors connected to the esp8226 to keep an eye on my 10Gbps nic and a little HBA so again I could just ramp up the fans when needed under load.

So very simply the server ran near unaudible when not being hit with a load, very nice feature when you have to sleep in the same room.

Since there is to my few hours of research no easy way to do drive temp based fan curvs in truenas core/scale I'm planning on making my own. I'm using truenas scale, core is not really an option for me I really like the virtualization in scale.

If this works out I plan on making this a fully public open source project with a noob friendly UI and schematics let other do the same.

I fully understand this is a niche project but I'm sure some others will find it useful as well.

I would be really thankful for any help at all.

SomeFanGuy

Cadet
Just as a note,
I am aware of the nice little API v2.0 that can give drive temps but that sadly does not give any motherboard related temps, down the line I do want to have this system to have the ability to monitor a GPU as well.

The whole plan here is to balance the fans on the basis of multiple different inputs (parts of the system)

Scepterus

Dabbler
I am also interested in something like this, the issue I ran into, was that lm-sensors which is the most common way to get temps in linux is so outdated it can't pull temps from my motherboard.
The issue is if you can't get that data, you can't set a fan curve using fancontrol. Now TrueNAS gets that data some other way, since my dashboard does show temps for the cpu, so maybe there's a built-in module that get that.