Range for PCH Temp on X10SL7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkman

Patron
Started burning in / testing my HDDs about two hours ago, in the badblocks -ws /dev/daX "pattern 0xaa" now. I'm watching the temps on the IPMI sensors page, and I'm seeing 49 C degres for PCH temp, and 46 C degrees for the CPU. Ambient room temp is 77 F degrees (25 C degrees).

What's a good range to keep that within? Hardware in signature, but it's a Cooler Master mid-tower, with four 120 mm fans, fixed RPM at 1100 RPM, plus the CPU fan.

Should I be thinking of additional cooling or upgrading the current fans? Or is that an Ok PCH temp?

(PCH temp is for the Southbridge, correct?)

Last edited:

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Actually the IPMI (and SMART) temps are in °C, not °F :)

Linkman

Patron
Dammit :oops: I totally meant to type C ! Editing...

Bidule0hm

Ok :)

So, 50 °C is ok, no problem ;)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ok :)

So, 50 °C is ok, no problem ;)
Well, the only problem with 50 degrees Fahrenheit would be experimental evidence of an asymmetry of spacial translation, equivalent to the first law of thermodynamics not being true in general. That or a broken thermistor. :p

Seriously though, unless you start getting into the 350K range, I wouldn't worry.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Bidule0hm

Well, the only problem with 50 degrees Fahrenheit would be experimental evidence of an asymmetry of spacial translation, equivalent to the first law of thermodynamics not being true in general. That or a broken thermistor. :p

That, or it's just that you've put your server in a fridge :P

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That, or it's just that you've put your server in a fridge :p
It's funny that I suggested that silly idea just the other day.

Bidule0hm

Not that silly in fact, there's different solutions to cool a PC with refrigeration systems (ranging from cooling the water of a classic water-cooling to a cascade refrigeration systems (usually -100 to -200 °C) with the evaporator directly on the CPU die...) :D

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Not that silly in fact, there's different solutions to cool a PC with refrigeration systems (ranging from cooling the water of a classic water-cooling to a cascade refrigeration systems (usually -100 to -200 °C) with the evaporator directly on the CPU die...) :D
Doesn't mean they're not silly solutions.

My favorite silly solution are Peltier coolers and their atrocious efficiency.
A byproduct of the Netburst architecture and philosophy, naturally.

Bidule0hm

Actually those systems are (were? didn't see such a system since about 10 years in fact) mainly used to beat overclocking records (because they are usually multi kW systems and very noisy so you can't run them 24/7...) but you see very interesting things (from a physic, thermodynamic and electronic point of view) that you'll not see everyday thanks to that like the cold bug (yep, under a certain temp the CPU will not work, and that's not that low, -80 °C can be enough) :)

Yeah, I love and hate the Peltier. I love them because it's just amazing that you move sensible amounts of heat with no moving parts and that they work in reverse too (you can generate electricity from heat delta). They are also pretty small given their power. But of course I hate them because of their efficiency (and you don't want to see the efficiency in the generator usage...) :D I plan to do a long term experiment using them in the generator mode so yeah, I hate their efficiency :P

But there's far worse: look at the magnetic refrigeration :)

Linkman

Patron
:) Appreciate the answers and the resulting discussion.

Never saw PCH temps over 50 C, though it did touch 50 C once. CPU temp didn't go over 48 C. Finished badblocks last night, started the last smartctl long test. Will check the results this evening with smartctl -A, and then can go on to proper system configuration.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
50 degrees C is no problem at all.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Mine has gone as high as 55C when transcoding video. Seems to rise when CPU temps rise substantially.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Mine has gone as high as 55C when transcoding video. Seems to rise when CPU temps rise substantially.

Well, CPU activity tends to correlate to some extent with I/O. Higher ambient temperatures won't help, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.