Grub Rescue?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nearbyatom

Dabbler
So I started with this:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/lost-my-data.71616/#post-495738

I thought I got my volume back and I kept the PC running. I come back a few hours later, and I find out I can't access the webgui. I reboot the Freenas PC and I now get this error:

Code:

error:file 'x86_64-ef1' not found.
entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>

I'm on Freenas 11.0
What happened? Am I going to have to do a reinstall? What happens to my data on my drives?

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
What happens to my data on my drives?
Your pool data should still be where you last saw it if you didn't do anything to erase it.
I reboot the Freenas PC and I now get this error:
This is all about your boot drive not booting.
I'm on Freenas 11.0
You may need to do a fresh install of the OS because this looks like your boot media is scrambled. You should be able to import your pool in the fresh install as long as you don't do anything to erase your data drives. That is the advantage of having your boot pool and your data pool on physically separate media.

nearbyatom

Dabbler
HI! OK, I reinstalled FreeNAS. I think i imported my pool. My jails and different servers are showing up. I recognize the names.
However When I click on the storage tabs I see the amount used, I see abnormally low usage...especially in the media folder. I have Gigs of moves there. There should be some usage in photos and videos too. I am able to FTP over to the folders and I see nothing. See attached.

Did I lose all my data? is it possible to recover my lost files?
Even though I loaded my storage volumes, I'm not able to access my files/folders. Thoughts? Am I missing a step?

Attachments

• storage.jpg
    storage.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 273
  • media.jpg
    media.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 295
Status
Not open for further replies.