Graphical anomalies after upgrading 11.2-u7 to 11.3-u1

VulcanRidr

Explorer
I have one FreeNAS that recently came out of service and was not yet back in use. So I decided to use it as my test bed for 11.3. I upgraded from 11.2-u7 to 11.3-RELEASE to 11.3-u1. I keep seeing these errors, which are not appearing in 11.2:

Code:
collectd[3580]: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/collectd_pyplugins/disktemp.py", line 66, in read
    temperatures = c.call('disk.temperatures', self.disks, self.powermode, self.smartctl_args)
    temperatures = c.call('disk.temperatures', self.disks, self.powermode, self.smartctl_args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/client/client.py", line 500, in call
    raise CallTimeout("Call timeout")
middlewared.client.client.CallTimeout: Call timeout
Mar 11 10:37:57 baron sshd[70198]: fatal: Pre-authentication none cipher requests are not allowed. [preauth]
Mar 11 11:05:33 baron collectd[3580]: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/client/client.py", line 500, in call

And possibly related, when I go into Reporting, and try to scroll down a column of graphs, whether it is disk temperatures or ZFS information, as you scroll down either with the mousewheel, or with the page slider, the page of graphs will start jumping back and forth at random. It's hard to describe, but I can do a recording of it's behavior if this does not make sense. I actually had someone tell me that it might be because I upgraded rather than doing a fresh install, but I have never had that happen before. I have a FreeNAS at home that I have upgraded from 9.10 through all versions (except Corral) up to 11.2-U8.

Thanks,
--vr

MaxDaMan

Cadet
Hi VulcanRidr,

Did you resolve this issue? I'm seeing something similar on 11.3-U3.2.

In my case, after a reboot, it runs fine, until the next day when I see these errors, and my system becomes very sluggish. Some forum search indicated it may be a sign of the boot device starting to fail. I ran SMART tests on boot SSD drive and everything passed.

Code:
SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%       133         -
# 2  Short offline       Completed without error       00%       132         -

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
 SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
    1        0        0  Not_testing
    2        0        0  Not_testing
    3        0        0  Not_testing
    4        0        0  Not_testing
    5        0        0  Not_testing
  256        0    65535  Read_scanning was never started
Selective self-test flags (0x0):
  After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

Code:
Jul  9 05:33:31 freenas collectd[2684]: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/collectd_pyplugins/disktemp.py", line 61, in read
  File "/usr/local/lib/collectd_pyplugins/disktemp.py", line 61, in read
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/client/client.py", line 386, in call

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Max

frostybtc

Cadet
Count me for another one with identical issue. I just updated to latest version and now I am greeted with this recurring serious crash. I really hope someone finds a solution soon :). Thanks! Once I see that error coming up the logs multiple arrays become so slow they are unusable and the whole system crawls to a halt and is unusable until a reboot, then it works fine till that happens again. All drives are pretty much brand new right now too so there are none failing on the system but just to be sure I too ran tests on all drives and no errors or warnings either.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Have you cleared your browser cache?

MaxDaMan

Cadet
Hi frostybtc,

I was able to temporarily resolve the issue by shutting down the syncthing plugin before going to bed. I bring it up during the day if needed.

I’m wondering if a manual install of syncthing might resolve the issue, instead of using the plugin. I‘ll try that when I get some time.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Max

gwaitsi

Patron
Have you cleared your browser cache?
what would a browser cache have to do, with an error that appears in the log files on freenas?

i have the same error and opened a bug report on jira, but i am not prepared to send debug files from my system, so they closed it.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Graphical anomalies and other GUI oddities are frequently caused by old cruft that doesn't get cleared from the browser cache on update. This has been a longstanding issue despite some attempts to fix it.

gwaitsi

Patron
Graphical anomalies and other GUI oddities are frequently caused by old cruft that doesn't get cleared from the browser cache on update. This has been a longstanding issue despite some attempts to fix it.

fair enough, but in this case we have a python error that runs on the server (causing the error) independent of any browser.

In my case i have a drive connected via USB3 and the type is not recognized. i thought it might have been to do with that, until i saw other people with the same error. by all accounts, looks like a python bug. but i am not willing to upload debug info unfortunately.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
fair enough, but in this case we have a python error that runs on the server (causing the error) independent of any browser.
I know what you mean, but it could still be something like an API change that would not have been a problem if the GUI bits were in sync.

ByteMii

Cadet
Any progress on this issue? I am experiencing similar slow-downs, where it's good after reboot but after a day or so the system slows down, the web ui is super laggy, and the sys out has a long string of the same Python error messages over and over:
Code:
Oct 28 07:12:32 freenas 1 2020-10-2BT07:12:32.526448-04:00 freenas.local collectd 1844 - - Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/collectd_pyplugins/disktemp.py", line 63, in read
  temperatures = c.call('disk.tempratures', self.disks, self.powermode)
File "/usr/local/lib/collectd_pyplugins/disktemp.py", line 63, in read
  temperatures = c.call('disk.tempratures', self.disks, self.powermode)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/client/client.py", line 421, in call

I have been running FreeNAS on my system for over two years. I noticed issues several months ago. I tried updating from FreeNAS 11.2 to 11.3, and then about two weeks ago updated from FreeNAS to TrueNAS. Neither update solved the issue.

gwaitsi

Patron
in my case, upgrading to truenas 12 fixed the issue.

I took the drive setup using the USB3 port (as a replicated backup) and installed it in the system on the sata bus prior to upgrade.
the system still didn't recognize the HDD type or rotation speed.

After upgrading, the system recognized the HDD type and rotation speed and i don't get the errors any more.

ByteMii

Cadet
I think my issue is related to this thread attributing the issue to Syncthing:

It seems the solution is to change an advanced setting for each Syncthing folder, turning on "Case Sensitive FS". This solution actually came from a Syncthing forum: