GPU to reduce VNC GUI lag

TiberioG

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I have been using my freenas (specs in signature) only as a NAS but now I'm also experimenting with a Windows virtual machine as I usually use only linux, it's useful to have also a Windows machine.

Over VNC the desktop is very laggy because I think my server doesn't have any GPU. So I have an old GeForce 8500 GT, which would fit perfectly in my server, do you think it would make my virtual machines render the desktop faster, since PCIe passthrough is supported by bhyve?

Thanks in advance

asw2012

Contributor
You could connect with remote desktop. Just enable it inside of the windows installation.... I know this cuts the lag considerably.

BUT - I am also wondering about GPU passthrough for a windows VM inside of FreeNAS.

subhuman

Contributor
I would have serious concerns about using a 13-year-old GPU. You can find something like a GT 710 starting in the $20 range on eBay maybe less on craigslist or just ask people for old crap they have lying around. A 710 has approximately 3x the capabilities while also consuming half the power. (8500 39w max, 710 19w max)