Google Coral TPU support

nautilus7

Dabbler

edwi023

Dabbler
yes i did those steps it printed nothing.

I did al the steps but this time i didn't reboot the system, and behold i can find my coral again.
But it makes me wonder it looks like i cannot reboot the system without losing the drivers, if i recall correctly i could do this in de past without losing the drivers.

nautilus7

Dabbler
FWIW I updated to cobia. This is was a disaster!!! I strongly advise against doing it so, if you have a coral m.2 version.

Apparently, ix have now removed one of the needed packages (gpg-agent), but the big problem is that the there is not precompiled coral driver for debian bookworm upon which cobia is based!

So, better sell off your m.2 coral and buy a usb one. Doesn't worth all the trouble.

edwi023

Dabbler
FWIW I updated to cobia. This is was a disaster!!! I strongly advise against doing it so, if you have a coral m.2 version.

Apparently, ix have now removed one of the needed packages (gpg-agent), but the big problem is that the there is not precompiled coral driver for debian bookworm upon which cobia is based!

So, better sell off your m.2 coral and buy a usb one. Doesn't worth all the trouble.
Hmm that makes me think, if the usb one is hassle free maybe iam also gonne make te switch.
Looks like after a reboot of the system the driver are niet loaded.
I have frigate running in a docker but as an backup i can use it inside a VM running Home Assistant OS without any problems but i prefer it stand alone.

Let see if i can sell my coral's and buy a usb one

vikonen

Dabbler

Has this situation improved any with the latest cobia version?

atechnoholic

Cadet
Has this situation improved any with the latest cobia version?
Nope. It's a complete $h!t show with the m.2 Coral. What's happening for me, is that I'll be able to see it to add as a PCie passthrough device. Then the respective VM won't boot. Then the Coral gets reported as an "unrecognized device" in TN. Really sucks as I was trying to go VM with Blue Iris and ditch my Tesla card.

asciutto

Cadet
For anyone looking for support on this through the TrueCharts app there is a thread called "Google Coral PCIe passthrough to Frigate" under the #scale-apps channel on the TrueCharts discord.

1704215752255.png

MrCaspan

Dabbler
I have TrueNAS 23 Scale and running the 0.13 frigate iX app and looking for a way to get my M.2 Coral TPU to be passed through. Is this basically impossible? Does the TrueCharts app allow this now?

I cant even tell if the driver is installed for my Coral TPU. How can I tell if the drivers are installed?

If i do a

Code:
lspci | grep -i tpu

I do see my device listed

Code:
07:00.0 System peripheral: Global Unichip Corp. Coral Edge TPU

I would really prefer to use an app and not a VM as it adds a bunch of overhead to Virtualize an app that could just run on TrueNAS

Any help would be apprechated. If i have to use TreCharts app i will but id rathre use the native iX app

MrCaspan

Dabbler
Also it looks like we are setting the execute bit on the apt and dpkg and drimnger i understand that you have to do this to get the driver installed but seriously how hard would it be for TrueNAS to give us this driver so we don't have to do tihs? Like you get the warning above about offroading.. well stop making us offroad to get a simple driver that TrueNAS could provide for us. Is there a reason WHY TrueNAS does not provide this driver? or give us a folder that we can drop other drivers in that we want to use so we can use other hardware. but keep your OS untouched.

I am all for making this change but also allowing these folder to have execute abilities is scarry for a secure box. Is there no way to set do this then turn the execute bit back off? so its back to its normal security?

Last edited:

nautilus7

Dabbler
Me personally stepped away from truenas for apps, and now use proxmox and truenas as a vm for nas purposes only. Much more possibilities now.