Google Coral TPU support

StanAccy

Dabbler
Im looking to leverage a Google Coral TPU for video ML purposes - is there any reason I couldnt slot my PCIe device into the box that's running TrueNas Scale and install the drivers to make it available to apps running in containers?

bodly

Dabbler
The one issue that immediately comes to mind is that the drivers would need to be re-installed every time you upgrade TrueNAS.
There may be others as well. But you should give it a shot and report back.

StanAccy

Dabbler
The one issue that immediately comes to mind is that the drivers would need to be re-installed every time you upgrade TrueNAS.
There may be others as well. But you should give it a shot and report back.

This is/will be a pain. Is there nothing we can configure that says "after you update, please install the following packages" ? A config file that gets added on automatically after updates?

stavros-k

Patron
This is/will be a pain. Is there nothing we can configure that says "after you update, please install the following packages" ? A config file that gets added on automatically after updates?
If you can script it, there is Init/Shutdown Scripts section in System Settings > Advanced
But it's best to make a jira suggestion for official support.

jgreco

Resident Grinch

FreeNAS/TrueNAS is an appliance, and you're not really supposed to be installing packages in the host system. The idea is for you to use jails or virtual machines for additional processing tasks.

overeat

Dabbler
Im looking to leverage a Google Coral TPU for video ML purposes - is there any reason I couldnt slot my PCIe device into the box that's running TrueNas Scale and install the drivers to make it available to apps running in containers?
I have the same problem. I bought a Coral TPU for Frigate NVR system, which I use via multiple docker images to do AI computer vision.

I recently updated to BETA2 and this uninstalled some of my changes for Google Coral Drivers and such.

While TrueNAS Scale is an appliance, I personally want some tweaks on the base system to persist. I like having screen & vim on all machines I SSH into, including my TrueNAS Scale box. Also it appears I need to install Google Coral TPU drivers on the base system, since it's a PITA to modify docker/helm deploys to integrate this.

With that said, I've recently wrote this script which installs Google Coral TPU (mines m.2 card in PCIe adaptor) drivers which then can be used in Frigate. This doesn't require a reboot, as mentioned in the Google Coral install documents, as I load the driver via modprobe and it seems to work for me.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

echo "deb https://packages.cloud.google.com/apt coral-edgetpu-stable main" | tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/coral-edgetpu.list
curl https://packages.cloud.google.com/apt/doc/apt-key.gpg | apt-key add -
apt-get update
apt-get install gasket-dkms libedgetpu1-std
sh -c "echo 'SUBSYSTEM==\"apex\", MODE=\"0660\", GROUP=\"apex\"' >> /etc/udev/rules.d/65-apex.rules"
groupadd apex
modprobe apex
udevadm control --reload-rules

quada

Cadet
I have the same problem. I bought a Coral TPU for Frigate NVR system, which I use via multiple docker images to do AI computer vision.

I recently updated to BETA2 and this uninstalled some of my changes for Google Coral Drivers and such.

While TrueNAS Scale is an appliance, I personally want some tweaks on the base system to persist. I like having screen & vim on all machines I SSH into, including my TrueNAS Scale box. Also it appears I need to install Google Coral TPU drivers on the base system, since it's a PITA to modify docker/helm deploys to integrate this.

With that said, I've recently wrote this script which installs Google Coral TPU (mines m.2 card in PCIe adaptor) drivers which then can be used in Frigate. This doesn't require a reboot, as mentioned in the Google Coral install documents, as I load the driver via modprobe and it seems to work for me.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

echo "deb https://packages.cloud.google.com/apt coral-edgetpu-stable main" | tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/coral-edgetpu.list
apt-get update
sh -c "echo 'SUBSYSTEM==\"apex\", MODE=\"0660\", GROUP=\"apex\"' >> /etc/udev/rules.d/65-apex.rules"
groupadd apex
modprobe apex

I can't seem to get my coral to show up correctly in Truenas Scale no matter what I do. I can get it configured on a pi and a windows machine no problem, but Truenas is not cooperating. It just shows up as "1a6e:089a Global Unichip Corp." and not the correct "18d1:9302 Google Inc." device, even after installing drivers on the base system. Any advice?

StanAccy

Dabbler
As an update: Ive got Frigate running in a docker container inside an Ubuntu 20.04 VM running on Truenas Scale 22.02. You have to add the Coral as a PCIe passthrough in the VM config, then it becomes available to the VM, then the docker container can pick it up. Add the Coral drivers (see Coral docs on how to install those and load the modules). Inference speed is reported around 8.2 - so I think that's pretty good given the additional VM and docker. I noticed a Frigate Application in the incubator channel of TrueCharts, but I couldnt get that to work - it bombed out on initialization/config. Ive currently got 6 cameras running through the Coral, and Im blown away by the object detection ability of this tiny PCIe board. Now I just need to figure out how to leverage the ZFS aspect of TrueNAS without going through the ext4 of the VM.

quada

Cadet
As an update: Ive got Frigate running in a docker container inside an Ubuntu 20.04 VM running on Truenas Scale 22.02. You have to add the Coral as a PCIe passthrough in the VM config, then it becomes available to the VM, then the docker container can pick it up. Add the Coral drivers (see Coral docs on how to install those and load the modules). Inference speed is reported around 8.2 - so I think that's pretty good given the additional VM and docker. I noticed a Frigate Application in the incubator channel of TrueCharts, but I couldnt get that to work - it bombed out on initialization/config. Ive currently got 6 cameras running through the Coral, and Im blown away by the object detection ability of this tiny PCIe board. Now I just need to figure out how to leverage the ZFS aspect of TrueNAS without going through the ext4 of the VM.
good stuff. I might just continue using my current solution until the frigate truecharts app starts working. I did fork the incubator/frigate app and removed the coral (edge-tpu) requirement in the config and got it to install but after install it gets stuck on deploying, haven't had time to dig into that yet.

quada

Cadet
I can't seem to get my coral to show up correctly in Truenas Scale no matter what I do. I can get it configured on a pi and a windows machine no problem, but Truenas is not cooperating. It just shows up as "1a6e:089a Global Unichip Corp." and not the correct "18d1:9302 Google Inc." device, even after installing drivers on the base system. Any advice?
I've also fixed this issue in the meantime, if I run a "demo" example from the docs after installing the pycoral API on the Truenas base system it then shows up in lsusb as the correct "18d1:9302 Google Inc." device

zatarc

Cadet

Code:
#!/bin/sh

apt-get update
groupadd apex
modprobe apex
How do you passthrough the TPU to Frigate?

I managed to install drivers for the TPU on my TrueNAS Box:

Code:
root@truenas[~]# lsmod | grep apex
apex                   24576  0
gasket                114688  1 apex
root@truenas[~]# lspci |grep -i tpu
05:00.0 System peripheral: Global Unichip Corp. Coral Edge TPU
root@truenas[~]# ll /dev/apex*
crw-rw---- 1 root 120, 0 Mar  7 17:22 /dev/apex_0

I shared this device with my Frigate Docker-Container and configured Frigate to use the TPU:

1646678657646.png

Code:
detectors:
  coral0:
    type: edgetpu
    device: pci:0
  coral1:
    device: pci:1

But Frigate complains that no TPU was found:

Code:
[2022-03-07 19:29:55] frigate.edgetpu                ERROR   : No EdgeTPU was detected. If you do not have a Coral device yet, you must configure CPU detectors.

zatarc

Cadet
@zatarc Did you manage to get it to work? I'm about to the same setup soon. :)
Yes, indeed (and I'm sorry for not sharing this information).

When you run a container in "Privileged Mode", ALL devices will be passed to the container. Frigate is then able to access the TPU.

1648731221321.png

But I don't know if this is the best solution. I would feel more secure if I could only pass this specific Device to Frigate.

overeat

Dabbler
There's an issue now where apt is not longer available on TrueNas SCALE latest release.

You can fix via `chmod +x /usr/bin/apt*` and then run the script i posted after upgrade.

dcjona

Cadet
Hi,
I have the USB version. Thanks for the script but is it also ok for usb version?
because when i try to check with

root@truenas[~]# lspci |grep -i tpu

It's blank
There's an issue now where apt is not longer available on TrueNas SCALE latest release.

You can fix via `chmod +x /usr/bin/apt*` and then run the script i posted after upgrade.

jaharmi

Cadet
I have a similar setup with a dual TPU card; my backordered TPUs just arrived. I've installed it and run the steps from @j0rd's script, after chmod on apt. I see what I assume to be two TPUs in the output of `lspci |grep -i tpu` and `ll /dev/apex*`.

Can I use the Incubator Truechart for Frigate with this? This is the first time I've ever run TrueNAS SCALE and the second time I've ever tried to install Frigate. (Never finished the first one.)

vikonen

Dabbler

Code:
#!/bin/sh

apt-get update
groupadd apex
modprobe apex

This seems to work if you first:
Code:
chmod +x /usr/bin/apt*

and
Code:
chmod +x /usr/bin/dpkg*

However, it complains that apt-key is deprecated:

Code:
#
"Warning: apt-key is deprecated. Manage keyring files in trusted.gpg.d instead (see apt-key(8))."

Note: the following is based on some googling and my own experimentation - if someone spots an error in it, please correct me!
Note 2: All the commands need to be run as root
Note 3: As mentioned earlier in this thread, all of this is unsupported, and will not persist Truenas upgrades (which is why it is scripted ;) )
Note 4: After enabling apt-get, do NOT install any updates that are suggested! This will likely break your NAS. It is an appliance, and all these workarounds to install drivers onto Truenas are hacks!

Anyways, to fix this and get rid of the apt-key warning - which I suppose is valid since apt-key is deprecated for a good reason:
and

If you have already tried @j0rd 's script, first list your existing apt keys:
Code:
apt-key list

Find the key that looks like " [ unknown] Rapture Automatic Signing Key (cloud-rapture-signing-key-2022-03-07-08_01_01.pub)"
look at the 40 character key id, e.g.
"A362 B822 F6DE DC65 2817 EA46 B53D C80D 13ED EF05"
take the last 8 characters removing the space between:
e.g.
13EDEF05
and run:
Code:
apt-key del 13EDEF05

Thereafter, you can run a modified version of the script (just start here if this is the first time you are installing the coral driver):
Code:
#!/bin/sh
mkdir /etc/apt/keyrings
echo "deb [signed-by=/etc/apt/keyrings/coral.gpg] https://packages.cloud.google.com/apt coral-edgetpu-stable main" | tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/coral-edgetpu.list
wget -O- https://packages.cloud.google.com/apt/doc/apt-key.gpg | gpg --dearmor | sudo tee /etc/apt/keyrings/coral.gpg > /dev/null
apt-get update
groupadd apex
modprobe apex

This places Google's gpg key into a file in /etc/apt/keyrings folder called coral.gpg, and references it only from the corresponding source.list
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/coral-edgetpu.list
thus avoiding cross-signing with other gpg keys.

The script might need yet another modification when Debian moves to Deb822 format using individual .sources files instead of .list files.

The result should look like:

Code:
# modinfo apex             
filename:       /lib/modules/5.15.79+truenas/updates/dkms/apex.ko
author:         John Joseph <jnjoseph@google.com>
license:        GPL v2
version:        1.2
description:    Google Apex driver
srcversion:     700E8BBBE9CC23C6EC17712
alias:          pci:v00001AC1d0000089Asv*sd*bc*sc*i*
depends:        gasket
retpoline:      Y
name:           apex
vermagic:       5.15.79+truenas SMP mod_unload modversions
parm:           allow_power_save:int
parm:           allow_sw_clock_gating:int
parm:           allow_hw_clock_gating:int
parm:           bypass_top_level:int
parm:           trip_point0_temp:int
parm:           trip_point1_temp:int
parm:           trip_point2_temp:int
parm:           hw_temp_warn1:int
parm:           hw_temp_warn2:int
parm:           hw_temp_warn1_en:bool
parm:           hw_temp_warn2_en:bool
parm:           temp_poll_interval:int

# modinfo gasket
filename:       /lib/modules/5.15.79+truenas/updates/dkms/gasket.ko
author:         Rob Springer <rspringer@google.com>
license:        GPL v2
version:        1.1.4
description:    Google Gasket driver framework
srcversion:     2CA68DA0268ABC8C7117109
depends:     
retpoline:      Y
name:           gasket
vermagic:       5.15.79+truenas SMP mod_unload modversions
parm:           dma_bit_mask:int

# lspci -vvv | grep -e Unichip
04:00.0 System peripheral: Global Unichip Corp. Coral Edge TPU (prog-if ff)
    Subsystem: Global Unichip Corp. Coral Edge TPU

The 04:00:0 part gives you the PCI slot number that you need to expose to a VM - in a sort of reverse notation. In the UI, 04:00:0 should show up as pci_0000_00_04_0 .

At least for me, Scale's UI only showed a few of all the PCI devices once it populated the list (note that you need to give it a minute when opening the "PCI Passthrough Device*" dropdown), and it was missing the 04:

add-pci1.jpeg

To get around this, instead of choosing from the populated list, just start typing 04 (or what ever your PCI number happens to be) in the Search box:

add-pci2.jpeg

Choose the one that most resembles in notation the ones that are populated automatically if nothing is typed.

This seems to pass the device correctly into a VM.

If you want to go via the Truechart route, just select the "Render Configuration" checkbox right after the MQTT options in the chart configuration, click on "Add", and fill a name (can be anything I suppose), choose "Edge TPU" as the Type, and type "pci" in the Device.

frigate-chart.png

If you have several coral boards, choose one for each detector:
detectors:
coral1:
device: pci:0
coral2:
device: pci:1

Or mix usb and pci:

detectors:
coral_usb:
device: usb
coral_pci:
device: pci

Last edited:

vikonen

Dabbler
I have a similar setup with a dual TPU card; my backordered TPUs just arrived. I've installed it and run the steps from @j0rd's script, after chmod on apt. I see what I assume to be two TPUs in the output of `lspci |grep -i tpu` and `ll /dev/apex*`.

Can I use the Incubator Truechart for Frigate with this? This is the first time I've ever run TrueNAS SCALE and the second time I've ever tried to install Frigate. (Never finished the first one.)
I just setup the incubator chart - see my post above. Works fine, inference dropped to 1/10th of when using CPU.

PS: If someone has figured out a way to map a hostpath to /config inside the app, please share.

Tried this in the chart config, but it did not work (/config still comes from .../ix-applications/k3s/kubelet):
hostpath.png

I guess I have to try again starting from scratch, since I did not add the additional storage during initial install.

sretalla