Google Coral PCIe Driver Install and Passthrough to VM

vinnyd95

Cadet
Hello TrueNAS community!

I am new to the TrueNAS system, actually pretty much all of this is new to me. I have been having a ton of fun getting my system up and running and have learned a TON of info from these forums. I am looking for some advice, please pardon my lack of knowledge. I have been doing some searching around and can't seem to find a definitive solution.

I have a Home Assistant OS instance running in a VM inside of TrueNAS Core. Inside of Home Assistant I have installed the Frigate NVR add on which I plan on using for my NVR. Frigate highly recommends the use of the google coral device to aid in the motion detection AI features.

I would like to know a few things, with the host system being a Dell Poweredge R720, which TPU device would be best to use. They offer mini PCIe, M.2 as well as USB. I would like to keep all of my hardware internal.

Would an M.2 PCIe adapter work in this system?
How do I install the necessary drivers for the TPU?
Where do the drivers get installed?

Thank you to all who contribute. Greatly appreciate any and all help I can get!

My full system description below.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
1. You cannot install drivers in TrueNAS. Either the hardware is supported by TN or not.
2. For PCIe passthrough you do not need drivers in TN. You need drivers in the OS running inside your VM.
3. For PCIe passthrough this might be helpful: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/unable-to-passthrough-pcie-device.102996/

Whether M.2 or mini PCIe works you need to check with your hardware documentation. That is not a TrueNAS issue. USB is out because you cannot pass USB to a VM.

vinnyd95

Cadet
1. You cannot install drivers in TrueNAS. Either the hardware is supported by TN or not.
2. For PCIe passthrough you do not need drivers in TN. You need drivers in the OS running inside your VM.
3. For PCIe passthrough this might be helpful: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/unable-to-passthrough-pcie-device.102996/

Whether M.2 or mini PCIe works you need to check with your hardware documentation. That is not a TrueNAS issue. USB is out because you cannot pass USB to a VM.
Awesome, thank you for the quick reply Patrick. Once my TPU arrives in the mail I will give it a shot. As long as I can pass the device through to the HA VM I don't see why this wouldn't be possible.

diedrichg

Wizard
Once my TPU arrives in the mail I will give it a shot. As long as I can pass the device through to the HA VM I don't see why this wouldn't be possible.
Did this work for you? What are your settings for the VM, I'm running the same HA-OS.

Last edited: