Good boot solution for older PCs: JMB582 - PH58 card

JmarcSyd

Dabbler
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to TrueNAS. I've chosen Scale for my home NAS after trying both prebuilt solutions (Synology) and other open source products.

I purchased a small Dell Inspiron 3250 (core 5i/16GB) SFF as I wanted something small and fairly quiet, and in this respect it's perfect. The only thing that bothered me was the limited storage: there are only two SATA ports on the motherboard that are used by a couple of 1TB 2.5" SSD in RAID1. So I resorted to boot from a small SSD drive on a USB 3.0 port but it's not recommended and pretty ugly.

There are 2 PCI-E ports on the motherboard, one dedicated to GPU cards and not usable for anything else, and one small 1x port. So the challenge was to find a PCI-E 1x card to M.2 SATA SSD, knowing that the PC wouldn't recognize newer NVMe drives.

I started with a card based on the ASMedia ASM1061 chip. It worked at first but then started to return controller errors after a few days. I've read that this chip is supported but in my case it was very buggy. So I had to revert to booting from the USB port.

After further research, I purchased a PH58 card based on the JMB582 chip, plugged my SSD M.2 SATA drive into it and it worked straight away. It's been a week now and no error. Fingers crossed.

Interestingly, this card can support TWO M.2 SATA SSDs (see picture), so potentially I could have mirrored boot drives. I know it's an overkill but I'm tempted to do it.

I just wanted to mention this as it was a bit of a journey to find the right solution. That said, if anyone has had a bad experience with this chip, I'd be interested to know!

Attachments

• PH58.jpg
    PH58.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 230