Give Client Access to a FOLDER without VPN

Jaon123

Cadet
Hi there,
I'm trying to help a friend photographer. He's trying to see if FreeNAS Scale has applications or a way to allow customers to access photos (download and upload) remotely. Many clients are not tech savvy - so ask them to setup FTP or VPN is out of the question.

Synology seems to have this ability - photographers somehow can send a link to a client (just like a Drop Box) and the client with that link can view, upload or download images / movies from / to that specific folder.

Is this doable?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Doable? Yes. Open invitation to have your stuff accessed as freely as a meeting between high-level German military officers? Also yes.

Why do clients need to upload stuff? That's the big problem with your proposed setup.

Jaon123

Cadet
I asked! and apparently customers want to include their photos / clips included in the final production or albums.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Nextcloud. Exactly like Dropbox but self-hosted.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Nextcloud. Exactly like Dropbox but self-hosted.
I tend to agree that this is the best solution, but it will have to be managed with a heavy hand and mug full of paranoia, given the write access for relative randos.

I asked! and apparently customers want to include their photos / clips included in the final production or albums.
My strong advice is to:
  1. Strictly separate the upload folders from the download folders
    1. Friend puts his products in folder "Client A Download"
    2. Client A puts their works of art in folder "Client A Upload"
    3. Someone will complain sooner or later, let them.
  2. Not use the Download folders for any serious long-term storage
    1. Do work, save it elsewhere
    2. Copy it over to "Client A Download"
    3. Let Client A know they can download their stuff
    4. After they're done, this folder can stay, space allowing. Or it can go to make things easier, at the cost of potential client inconvenience.

Jaon123

Cadet
Thanks.. I've configured NextCloud - Still struggling to access remotely - Wil continue to work on this. Thanks again