BUILD Getting the most out of my new NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

nastynas

Cadet
Hello,

Wanted to thank the community first off for providing such a rich amount of written resources that got me and my machine up and running in no time...

With that being said some initial questions that I had, if you prefer I parse each one and put them into separate sub-forums please let me know, otherwise first ? is:

Feedback on build list please:

Purpose of the NAS
  • replacement for all cloud-based storage I am currently using (Dropbox, Google Drive etc.)
  • replacement of my DS421J 2 drive Synology NAS
  • backup repository of all the VM boxes I create, have use etc.
  • am only user
The Build:
FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE on a SanDisk Cruzer Glide 8GB
  • Intel Xeon CPU E3-1246 v3 @ 3.50GHz
    • Cpu Water Cooled with Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm Fan (Pull) by Cooler Master Seidon 120v
  • 4 x 8GB 240-pin ECC Kingston KVR16LE11L/8 DDR3L-1600 PC3-12800 @ 1.5V
  • Asrock Rack E3C224D4I-14S
    • American Megatrends Inc. P3.20 BIOS
    • 2 x Intel i210, support Dual GLAN
    • 8 x SAS2 from 2 x mini SAS 8087 connector by LSI 2308
  • 4 x 2TB Seagate Enterprise Capacity HD SAS 6Gb/s 128MB Cache 3.5-Inch Drives
  • Samsung 840EVO 120GB SSD
    • For JAILS or maybe SSD Cache
  • Silverstone:
    • ST45SF‑G 450W Power Supply (Gold)
    • SST-DS380B SFF Mini-Tower Case
      • 2 case fans in push
      • 2 case fans in pull (including CPU Cooler fan on Radiator)

Last edited:

Mr_N

Patron
I have no experience with water cooling but for a NAS its prob more trouble than its worth.

How much storage space do you need, and if its more than 3TB you might want to start with 6x4TB HDDs :)

russnas

Contributor
do you want to use such a small case?, i had a small silverstone and it looked great but it was a hassle with cable management, you would want to watercool just to save space without a cpu heatsink so it wont be a tight squeeze with the hdd cables.
thermal management was another reason, hdds were warmer and i wanted better airflow.

you wont need to hot-swap bays but they look nice.

see review
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1388-page4.html

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Skip the ssd cache and I wouldn't bother with it for jails either(I'm not sure it makes a difference). Also skip the water cooling, servers don't normally need water cooling of any kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.