Getting 100Mbps from 1Gbps USB LAN

NugentS

MVP
We are not being rude about the hardware - we are being realistic. TrueNAS is business grade appliance and really likes business grade hardware.
We suggested you get an Intel NIC, so you bought a RealTek NIC
We could have suggested you get a Chelsio - even more expensive potentially than a "cheap" Intel NIC as they are rarer

It may run on the realtech - but if you start to push that NIC, the chances are that something will go wrong as both the hardware and drivers are not up to the quality of the Intel stuff.

Look at second hand - are there system dismantlers in India - those are the places to buy from. Not from China as you have a significant chance that those are fake or knockoffs. ZFS can at times put some serious workload on the hardware as part of its processes - you do not want to cheap out on NIC's or HBA's. On Memory, ECC is recommended - but its not required, things will work without it - but its a layer of data protection stripped away if you don't use it. HDD's, do NOT (I repeat do NOT) use SMR disks as they will cause ZFS to crap itself. SMR is cheaper than CMR, but again - do not use SMR

You are of course free to ignore us - but when it all goes wrong and you come here asking for help - we can't as the basic platform isn't up to the job.

warllo

Contributor
I looked at the switch in the link you provided. I did not see LACP anywhere on the specs so I would assume that this switch is not capable of LACP.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I am extremely sorry if my words hurt you.

Not an issue. We're pretty robust here. We're trying to make sure we don't break YOU. :smile:

I was thinking about I would connect two ports of my workstation with two-port of the server (no switch in between). Is there any way to do this and get LACP active on both of the devices to active 2GBPs?

But the LACP isn't going to get you 2Gbps. It's going to get you two 1Gbps, and because lots of LACP hashing just uses the source and destination IP's, you will only have 1Gbps of usable speed in a pointopoint setup, so it isn't going to be reliable.

If you want to experiment with SMB multichannel, your only realistic option is to set up two SEPARATE networks. You can do this through two switches, one managed switch with two vlans, or two direct pointopoint connections between your PC and your NAS. This will give you two 1Gbps channels but lets you use Samba/SMB higher layer tricks to utilize both of them "at once."

Otherwise, you could also see if you could find some used 10Gig ethernet interfaces. You can use these in a pointopoint network as well, and they will be faster than your desired 2Gbps. Used 10Gig gear such as the Intel X520's is now a decade old and not that pricey. We have a nice 10 Gig Networking Primer that discusses this.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I looked at the switch in the link you provided. I did not see LACP anywhere on the specs so I would assume that this switch is not capable of LACP.

Mmm, web managed, I thought they were supposed to do LACP -- good catch.

The GS108Tv2 and v3 definitely support LACP. But I think the whole LACP thing is a red herring for the poster, I think we need to look at non-LACP solutions.

warllo

Contributor

Looks like LACP is only on the 16 port and 24 port models.

Code:
Gigabit Ports : 8
10 Gbps Port : n/a
Number of PoE ports : 4
Total PoE Power budget (Watts) : 53
Max MAC entries : 4K
Buffer size : 192KB
VLAN (Number Supported) : 32
Number of LAGs & number of members : n/a
Supported Mulitcast groups : 128
Max number of source ports allowed (many to 1) : 7
Internal/External : External
Input: 48V/1.25A
Max consumption (Watts) : 7.0W (no PoE) / 60.0W (w/PoE max)
FAN : No
Acoustic Noise Level @25C (dBA) : 0
Operating Temperature : 0° to 50° C
MTBF (hrs) : 1,242,394 hrs
Electromagnetic Compliance (A or B) : A

If you're tight on cash and this isn't for Business use or more than home lab I've had decent luck with Miktroik Switches. They're usually affordable but may require a learning curve as the GUI is limited.

themadman

Dabbler
Looks like LACP is only on the 16 port and 24 port models.

Code:
Gigabit Ports : 8
10 Gbps Port : n/a
Number of PoE ports : 4
Total PoE Power budget (Watts) : 53
Max MAC entries : 4K
Buffer size : 192KB
VLAN (Number Supported) : 32
Number of LAGs & number of members : n/a
Supported Mulitcast groups : 128
Max number of source ports allowed (many to 1) : 7
Internal/External : External
Input: 48V/1.25A
Max consumption (Watts) : 7.0W (no PoE) / 60.0W (w/PoE max)
FAN : No
Acoustic Noise Level @25C (dBA) : 0
Operating Temperature : 0° to 50° C
MTBF (hrs) : 1,242,394 hrs
Electromagnetic Compliance (A or B) : A

If you're tight on cash and this isn't for Business use or more than home lab I've had decent luck with Miktroik Switches. They're usually affordable but may require a learning curve as the GUI is limited.
can't find any :3 thinking of switching to UNRAID, not sure... too confused

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Unraid won't give you 2Gbps bandwidth, either. There is no technology that gives you 2Gbps throughput with two 1Gbps adapters. To get more than 1Gbps you need a 2.5Gbps or 10Gbps adapter and that is that.

You cannot bundle network interfaces the way you think you can.

If you are building on a small budget from mostly spare parts - why is it so important to you to get more than 1Gbps?

themadman

Dabbler
Unraid won't give you 2Gbps bandwidth, either. There is no technology that gives you 2Gbps throughput with two 1Gbps adapters. To get more than 1Gbps you need a 2.5Gbps or 10Gbps adapter and that is that.

You cannot bundle network interfaces the way you think you can.
So how did this happen? SMB 3.0?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4VnWQPW-f4&t=326s&ab_channel=LinusTechTips

I am looking for a os which can do this thing easily....

and please kindly tell me how did this happen if I can not bundle NIC the way i was thinking?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coShLkCriXc&t=1129s&ab_channel=LinusTechTips

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The first comment under that second video reads:
Just a small clarification about the SMB Multichannel settings. We asked the TrueNAS folks about it, and they explained that in the current version of SMB/samba in TrueNAS core, SMB Multichannel is still considered "experimental" and is therefore not a recommended configuration. The Linux version of TrueNAS, "Scale", should support SMB Multichannel by default once it matures into a stable release.

And nothing of this is in any way related to LACP, lagg or bundling Ethernet interfaces in any way. It's an application level solution where a client connects to an SMB server over two or more links. Meaning that the server and the client need two ethernet ports each.

Basically you configure two separate networks and use both at the same time. If you want that to work, even if it's experimental, I suggest you open a new thread with a matching subject, because - again - this is completely different from "bundling" ethernet ports.