Getting 100Mbps from 1Gbps USB LAN

themadman

Dabbler
I wanted to use two LAN ports with lagg. But when I added a usb3.0 to Ethernet I found it was just showing 100Mbps. But its 1000Mbps. How to solve this.
Motherboard - x370 Gaming pro carbon
CPU - 1800x without GPU
1636837354003.png

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
TrueNAS has very few USB Ethernet drivers, sorry. I could only find the following Gigabit USB Ethernet drivers bundled in /boot/kernel:
  • if_axe.ko - ASIX Electronics AX88x7x/760 USB Ethernet driver (only AX88178 is Gigabit, all others are 100 only)
  • if_axge.ko - ASIX Electronics AX88178A/AX88179 USB Gigabit Ethernet driver
  • if_muge.ko - Microchip LAN78xx USB Gigabit Ethernet driver
None of these are loaded by default, and require setting a system loader tunable if_<name of driver minus .ko>_load="YES" and then rebooting to activate. Please don't use USB network interfaces with TrueNAS, as these drivers aren't tested for reliability, and the Ethernet dongle will likely overheat.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
USB Ethernet is a trainwreck (the Realtek ones are somewhere between "Realtek PCIe NIC" and "SATA port multiplier" in how awful they are).

danb35

Hall of Famer
Motherboard - x370 Gaming pro carbon
A little orthogonal to your question here, but both this post and your other one (on expanding your RAID array) strongly suggest that you've put TrueNAS into production with minimal understanding of its requirements and how it works. For the sake of your data, please try to correct that. The documentation (link at the top of the page) would be a good place to start. The hardware recommendations guide would be good as well. It's getting a little dated, but Uncle Fester's guide (link in my .sig) also has a lot of good information.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Also, you should use two of the SAME TYPE of interface for LAGG interfaces, preferably Intel ones.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You should ideally go for a nice Intel desktop CT ethernet card. These work fine with FreeNAS/TrueNAS. Or, if you want to do LAGG, Intel makes some nice dual port 1G server cards.

themadman

Dabbler
I am using unmanaged switch... today I bought one realtek one as intel one's not much avaiable here... and managed switch are too expensive here tbh... I am trying to go for SMB Multishare but can not do it... I followed Guide 1 and Guide 2 but it is not working. :frown::frown:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
LACP requires the use of a managed switch that knows how to speak LACP. Otherwise, your practical choice is limited to doing failover with LAGG.

Samuel Tai

NugentS

MVP
Realtek are crap - use an Intel

danb35

Hall of Famer
Not to put too fine a point on it, but "proper hardware is too expensive" won't make TrueNAS magically work well with crap hardware.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
what about smb3.0 multi?

That's an application level protocol. That builds on top of your network. You still need to build your network properly, and SMB multi is not a replacement for LACP. If you want to be able to do things like LACP, you really need network components capable of LACP.

LAGG failover is indeed only for failover purposes, it doesn't increase bandwidth. But, then again, for a single client, neither does LACP.

The cheapest way to increase bandwidth is to avail yourself of some of the readily available 10G hardware out there. This actually works the way you would think, and isn't subject to the same kinds of disappointments most people run into when they try to ghetto-net their small network with things like LACP.

themadman

Dabbler
Not to put too fine a point on it, but "proper hardware is too expensive" won't make TrueNAS magically work well with crap hardware.
I feel like You guys are way too rude about the hardware. Not everyone's born with a silver spoon nor every country's earning is the same. In my country the least salary is below 100USD... I don't earn much through my new start up... So kindly don't give the crap about EXPENSIVE hardware... Truenas was about to make the old computer into nas. I could have bought UNRAID maybe? But I didn't expect this forum to be that rude!!! Sorry but not sorry~!!!

Samuel Tai

We've been trying to tell you: NIC teaming is NOT bandwidth aggregation. It's link redundancy. You're not going to achieve higher bandwidth by teaming, but you're still stuck with this misconception.

We understand lack of resources. Many of us here are hobbyists that can't afford true enterprise gear, and have cobbled together systems from used/refurbished spare parts. I apologize if some of us here come across as rude, but we're trying to tell you what works and what doesn't.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I understand that it might feel like we're being rude, if your hands are tied by funds or equipment unavailability. However, we are not saying that we don't like the way you dress or your hair looks funny. Those things would truly be rude. We are saying that if you put a hitch on a Smart Fortwo and try to haul a Dutchman Aspen with it, it isn't going to work (except maybe if you've got a good downhill run). The people telling you that such a hauling setup won't work aren't being rude. They're trying to save you from a misadventure.

LACP requires a managed switch, because LACP requires the switch silicon to have features that are not present on dumb switches. You cannot hook up and configure LACP against the dumb switch, because the dumb switch simply can't speak the negotiation protocol to establish the LACP link.

If you want high performance networking, rather than trying to hook up Realtek and USB ethernets, which consistently underperform, it is better to optimize the single ethernet situation first, which means using quality ethernet chipsets such as the Intel 1G's/10G's, Chelsio, etc. We prefer these things not because we wish to be rude, but because they are demonstrated to work extremely well, whereas lots of generic PC hardware does not. Adding two crappy ethernets together is not likely to equal a single decent ethernet. That's not rudeness, that's actual experience.

You're welcome to go over to UNRAID if you want. It isn't going to change the underlying facts, which is that it's difficult to build a high performance NAS even with good parts. You do have to learn to accept the experience of others. Some of us do this professionally. I'm a professional cheapskate who looks for the best ways to get the most out of stuff for the least money. Other hobbyists here are extremely limited in their financial resources and may save up for months or even years for that NAS upgrade or new networking gear, and will obsess endlessly over whether their precious dollars are being spent as effectively as possible. This community excels at providing lots of feedback for such cases, there are a lot of hardcore technical people here who will give you lots of wisdom and experience for free.

You are free to ignore all that and just say we're being rude, but I feel like that's doing yourself a disservice...

themadman

Dabbler
I am extremely sorry if my words hurt you. Thank you guys very much for the support and knowledge! But sometimes it hurts when you refer the problems just to hardware. I bought PCI-E Ethernet as you referred.
My target is to reach 2GBPs+ for 4x4TB server for video editing and rendering. The way is to set LACP. Now I can see that I would need a managed switch for it. I am planning to go for this switch, which is the cheapest GBPs managed 8 port switch available here.
https://www.startech.com.bd/netgear-gs108pe-8-port-switch
Though it is outta range for me.

I was thinking about I would connect two ports of my workstation with two-port of the server (no switch in between). Is there any way to do this and get LACP active on both of the devices to active 2GBPs?