General direction for 'new' setup utilizing FreeNAS in lieu of DrivePool

Status
Not open for further replies.

VideoBill

Dabbler
So I don't know the reason you would need the WHS after the data has been copied over. That's a decision you have to make, but personally I prefer to have all my storage in one box rather than spread out among servers. Been there done that. It was a pain in the arse.

To be clear you will need WHS on the server long enough to get the data transferred over the network to the new storage server.
If FreeNAS is the OS, for what I need I can dump WHS once I get the data copied over.

How would FreeNAS handle the additional 2 Norco 42xx cases as they populate with data, do I just add them to the NAS pool?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
If FreeNAS is the OS, for what I need I can dump WHS once I get the data copied over.

How would FreeNAS handle the additional 2 Norco 42xx cases as they populate with data, do I just add them to the NAS pool?
You would use external SAS connectors and connect the SAS cards together. This is getting complicated though. Put all your storage in ONE box. Not multiple boxes.

VideoBill

Dabbler
Man, you guy's are quick. I keep having to change my reply.

As pirateghost said in his last message, I'd prefer to have all my storage in one box, as opposed to 3-4 separate servers. If you need additional boxes, connect some JBOD's.

Here's @depasseg 's system for an example.

-- freenas1 Specs: SuperMicro SuperStorage Server 5028R-E1CR12L | Xeon E5-2637V3 | 128GB DDR4 2133MHz ECC RDIMM | X10SRH-CLN4F | On-board LSI 3008 (Flashed w/Avago v9-IT) | 12x 4TB WD-Re SAS| 2x Intel S3700 (SLOG and L2ARC)
-- freenas1 expansion: SuperMicro SC847E16 JBOD (45 drives) | connected via an LSI 9200-8e flashed to v20 IT | 20 x WD Red 2TB + 6 WD Red 3TB
This looks like the direction I am heading.

VideoBill

Dabbler
You would use external SAS connectors and connect the SAS cards together. This is getting complicated though. Put all your storage in ONE box. Not multiple boxes.
This is what am doing now, I can just switch to FreeNAS and rebuild system without too much fuss from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.