Moving existing server to new chassis... sanity check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Hanna

Dabbler
My current freenas server is housed in a full size atx tower. I have a Supermicro MBD-X10SRH-CLN4F-0 motherboard connected to 8 WD Red Pro drives via 2 SFF- 8643 breakout cables directly to each drive. I've outgrown this case and need more drives so am moving into a new Norco 4224 chassis. In the new setup all of the "guts" of the existing server are just being moved to the new chassis. In this new setup the 8 existing drives will be connected to the same SFF-8643 ports on the motherboard but will now be connected to 2 of the 8087 ports on the backplanes of the Norco chassis instead of directly to the drives via the breakout cables. If my understanding is correct (please correct me if I'm wrong), there is nothing special I need to do within freenas for this change... it should just recognize the drives even if the drive order, location, and naming change? I have multiple backups of my data but would like to avoid any unnecessary headaches in this move. If there is something I am missing here please let me know. Thanks in advance for any advise on this move.

danb35

Hall of Famer
If my understanding is correct (please correct me if I'm wrong), there is nothing special I need to do within freenas for this change
Your understanding is correct.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If cables aren't a concern, you may want to bring in more of the backplanes... in case one backplane fails and you have more than 2 drives on it (I'm assuming you're RAIDZ2), then your pool is offline.

If you're using 4 backplanes, no more than 2 disks on each, then you're still in play even if you lose a backplane (this also lets you spread out the disks in the chassis for better cooling). This also gives you 8 more disk slots ready for use with hot-plug.

Michael Hanna

Dabbler
If cables aren't a concern, you may want to bring in more of the backplanes... in case one backplane fails and you have more than 2 drives on it (I'm assuming you're RAIDZ2), then your pool is offline.

If you're using 4 backplanes, no more than 2 disks on each, then you're still in play even if you lose a backplane (this also lets you spread out the disks in the chassis for better cooling). This also gives you 8 more disk slots ready for use with hot-plug.

That is an excellent idea... I didn't even consider that. Yes, I'm currently running RAIDZ2 so having all my drives on only 2 of the backplanes does present a risk. I'll spread the drives evenly between 4 of the backplanes. Going this route will spread my drives out over multiple HBA's... I'm assuming there is still nothing I need to do within freenas before making this move...it should just pick the drives up as usual?

Last edited:

sretalla