GELI: No hardware encryption since upgrade processor

jyavenard

Patron
I noticed that since I changed the processor and motherboard Geli seems to not be be using hardware encryption.

GEOM_ELI: Device mirror/swap0.eli created.
GEOM_ELI: Encryption: AES-XTS 128
GEOM_ELI: Crypto: accelerated software
GEOM_ELI: Device mirror/swap1.eli created.
GEOM_ELI: Device mirror/swap2.eli created.

when it use to have "Crypto: hardware" in there.

CPU: AMD EPYC 7302P 16-Core Processor (3000.18-MHz K8-class CPU)
Origin="AuthenticAMD" Id=0x830f10 Family=0x17 Model=0x31 Stepping=0
Features=0x178bfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,
SSE2,HTT>
Features2=0x7ed8320b<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,MON,SSSE3,FMA,CX16,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,MOVBE,POPCNT,AESNI,XSAVE,OSXSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND>
AMD Features=0x2e500800<SYSCALL,NX,MMX+,FFXSR,Page1GB,RDTSCP,LM>
AMD Features2=0x75c237ff<LAHF,CMP,SVM,ExtAPIC,CR8,ABM,SSE4A,MAS,Prefetch,OSVW,IBS,SKINIT,WDT,TCE,Topology,PCXC,PNXC,DBE,PL2I,MWAITX,ADMSKX>
AESNI is reported as supported by the processor (there's no option in the motherboard's BIOS to enable/disable that feature)

Any particular reason crypto wouldn't be using AESNI with geli here?

jyavenard

Patron
Hmmm..

It seems to be just how FreeBSD 13 reports it.
geli(8) now reports the use of accelerated software cryptography (such as AES-NI on x86 CPUs) as "accelerated software" rather than "hardware". This is purely a change in naming, and does not imply reduced performance or support. a3d565a1188f (Sponsored by Chelsio Communications)
never mind then.

jyavenard

Patron
Out of curiosity, is there a noticeable increase in pool import speed on a cold boot with this enabled?
Can't say I ever measured. It's processor specific and if it's supported it's used.