Gamer ram (slower) vs value ram (faster)

Ignacio97

Dabbler
Hello everyone,
What should I choose? corsair veangance ddr3 1333 or value ram ddr3 1600??
In both cases, I’m talking about 16 gb (4x4gb)

Thanks all.

VioletDragon

Patron
Hello everyone,
What should I choose? corsair veangance ddr3 1333 or value ram ddr3 1600??
In both cases, I’m talking about 16 gb (4x4gb)

Thanks all.

Neither. Better to go with ECC Memory. Although Non ECC Memory will work but better to go with ECC Unbuffered or Registered.

no_connection

Patron
Without knowing anything else we can't really give any reliable advice. And if your motherboard and CPU don't support ECC you might at well buy 4 bricks instead.

I would say that going 4GB sticks is not advisable since you are at 16GB or minimum recommended meaning you have to buy whole new RAM to upgrade instead of adding two more sticks.

Ignacio97

Dabbler
Thanks to both of you.
I agree with your advise. These are the stick that I have currently. I'm aware that if I'd upgrade my system, I should buy new sticks, at least 1x 8GB.
So, my question is about choosing beetwen these 2 options. Which of them do you'd going for? Or may be, is irrelevant... :rolleyes:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
It depends on what your CPU and chipset can do ...

ornias

Wizard
Without timings we can not even say if one of those two types of ram is actually faster.

My understanding is that memory speed is not generally that important. More memory is much more important than faster memory.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
My understanding is that memory speed is not generally that important. More memory is much more important than faster memory.
Right as rain.

@Ignacio97 the answer to your titular question is "whichever you can afford more of"

Herr_Merlin

Patron
Ecc? Who cares about the rest. Plus I think there is no ECC gamer ram..

Yorick

Wizard
Ecc? Who cares about the rest.

Yes and the i3 supports that, but it is "an old PC", which means the chipset does not. I don't think ECC is an option here.