From Unraid to FreeNAS with a new build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nxt97

Cadet
At the moment im using Unraid on my Server with this config:

CPU Prozessoren: 2 x Intel Xeon E5645 SLBWZ 6C Server Prozessor 6x 2,40 GHz 12MB Cache 1366 CPU
RAM: 32GB Registered ECC DDR3 RAM (8x 4GB DIMM)

running a Plex Media Server with DVR and the remove advertising function, GitLab,UnifyController, one WindowsVM (only used sometimes) and some linuxVM's (max 3 at once online) for websites/smarthomestuff/testings.

Now I want to get into FreeNAS and I was thinking about some configurations:

Config 1
Option 1: Use the old Server with XCP NG XenServer(SSD's), saving the main VM's there and just save my Movies and Backups on the FreeNAS or using a SSD Raid on the FreeNAS over NFS or ISCSI for the VM's​
Option 2: Not sure the Intel Xeon D-1528 got the power for removing the advertising in my DVR recordings. Instead of the 3x500GB SSD pool on the FreeNAS using a m.2 SSD for the jails(Backups and Movies ofc on the HDD pool). How is the FreeNAS jail/plugin performance over the XenServer performance?​

Config 2
  • Supermicro X11SPi-TF 10xSATA
  • Intel Xeon Silver 4110, 8x 2.10GHz
  • 3 x 8TB(Seagate IronWolf) Raidz1
  • 2 x 16GB Ram
Running everything on this box with a m.2 SSD for the jails, just thinking about the performance of FreeNAS VM's/plugins​

Early next year I want to upgrade my Network to 10Gb, some of my Desktop Machines already have 10GB ports. So ofc both of the Boards have a 10GB nic. If I decide to go with Config 1 Option 1 I would upgrade my "Old Server" with a 10GB RJ45 NIC.
What do you think about my "problem", I'm thinking about this for a while now.. reading and reading forum threads but I can't really decide cause I can't test the real performance. So I hope someone can help me there.

Thanks in advance :)))

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
3 x 8TB(Seagate IronWolf) Raidz1
More reading is in order. Please review these documents that will tell you more about the ZFS file system and how it works in FreeNAS.

However, first, you need to read why we don't use RAIDz1:

Why not to use RAID-5 or RAIDz1
https://www.zdnet.com/article/why-raid-5-stops-working-in-2009/

Slideshow explaining VDev, zpool, ZIL and L2ARC
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

Terminology and Abbreviations Primer
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/terminology-and-abbreviations-primer.28174/

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
After you're done with the recommended reading from Chris, you might want to consider that your Capture/DVR setup will not be as simple under FreeNAS as it is on Linux... do some research, but basically, I don't think the FreeBSD version of Plex has all the hooks for handling the capture hardware and/or the difficulty of passing hardware through to a jail (completely forget the PCI passthrough to a VM idea also as it's really too early in the bhyve lifecycle to avoid lots of wasted time).

Nxt97

Cadet
However, first, you need to read why we don't use RAIDz1:

Yeah I know how that works, and that Mirroring multiple vDevs is the better option. But my Question wasn't rly about the Drive or Raid configuration. Ofc I can also go with a 2x2 Mirror of 8TB Drives. At first I was choosing the RaidZ1 cause my Data is not rly that Critical.. all my Gitlab code is also backed up on a ExternalServer in the Company I work + like on all my PC's. But yes the 2x2 makes more sense

Slideshow explaining VDev, zpool, ZIL and L2ARC
I could add a ZIL or L2ARC later on I guess, the ZIL makes sense for lot small files if I remember, but that's not the case if Im not running the VMs on the FreeNAS or using a SSD Pool.

Or did I understand something wrong? Just a lot of stuff I was reading the days... sometimes confusing things :D

Nxt97

Cadet
After you're done with the recommended reading from Chris, you might want to consider that your Capture/DVR setup will not be as simple under FreeNAS as it is on Linux... do some research, but basically, I don't think the FreeBSD version of Plex has all the hooks for handling the capture hardware and/or the difficulty of passing hardware through to a jail (completely forget the PCI passthrough to a VM idea also as it's really too early in the bhyve lifecycle to avoid lots of wasted time).

So as Im reading that, running my VM's on my old server would be the better option.. I guess just putting 2 500GB SSD's (already got one) Raid1 in my old Server and saving the Gitlab Repos on an ISCSI or NFS Share on the FreeNAS system. Using a SSD Pool or adding ZIL drive for that.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Mirroring multiple vDevs is the better option
No, we don't mirror vdevs; but we might make a vdev that is a mirror of disks. You still need to review the way it works because you are not understanding.
But my Question wasn't rly about the Drive or Raid configuration.
It makes a difference in ZFS. I know that you are not accustomed to thinking of such things because it doesn't matter as much with...
At the moment im using Unraid
I can also go with a 2x2 Mirror of 8TB Drives.
I wouldn't suggest that either, because it isn't any better than RAIDz1. You have not done enough reading yet.

Nxt97

Cadet
No, we don't mirror vdevs; but we might make a vdev that is a mirror of disks. You still need to review the way it works because you are not understanding.

Sorry that was my bad, I meant to mirror the Disks in two vdevs. Was in a hurry answering on my phone.

But I was reading the article u sendet me and came to the conclusion that I should better go with a 6x4TB RAIDZ2 :) I won't need a ZIL or L2ARC drive cause I will put all the database stuff on my "old server" with two raid 1 SSD's and daily backup of my GitLab Database etc. on the FreeNAS machine. Everything else can fail, and I can just set it up new, without much struggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.