Fresh Install Issue 9.3 or 9.10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwesty

Cadet
Hey all, I am new to FreeNAS and having an issue loading 9.3 or 9.10. I can however load 10 beta 2.,, I am using the 2 USB method the same way for all 3 but if I try to install 9.3 or 9.10 they both stop on install.

I get an error saying that there is "No suitable dump device". I thought it was an issue with the USB and being corrupt or something but then tried it with 10 beta 2 and it installed flawlessly. I was able to setup volumes, permissions everything was working but if I can't do Plex on 10 then it defeats the purpose.

I would just run 10 but I am building this for a cloud storage and Plex Server and I see that 10 won't run Plex yet. Any help is much appreciated.

System Setup:

i7 Intel Processer
Asus motherboard
8 GB Crucial RAM
2 x 2TB WD Reds
120 GB SSD for Plex Jail.

Thanks,
J

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hey all, I am new to FreeNAS and having an issue loading 9.3 or 9.10. I can however load 10 beta 2.,, I am using the 2 USB method the same way for all 3 but if I try to install 9.3 or 9.10 they both stop on install.

I get an error saying that there is "No suitable dump device". I thought it was an issue with the USB and being corrupt or something but then tried it with 10 beta 2 and it installed flawlessly. I was able to setup volumes, permissions everything was working but if I can't do Plex on 10 then it defeats the purpose.

I would just run 10 but I am building this for a cloud storage and Plex Server and I see that 10 won't run Plex yet. Any help is much appreciated.

System Setup:

i7 Intel Processer
Asus motherboard
8 GB Crucial RAM
2 x 2TB WD Reds
120 GB SSD for Plex Jail.

Thanks,
J
Can you show us the complete screen output you see when you get the "no suitable dump device" error?

gpsguy

btw, even if you get over this hump, you'll need additional memory for Plex. 8GB is the minimum requirement for a basic filer.

Jwesty

Cadet

I attached a photo of it.

My processor is the i7-7700 LGA1151
My Motherboard is ASUS Prime H270M-PLUS

Attachments

• IMG_2581.JPG
    IMG_2581.JPG
    536.5 KB · Views: 249

Jwesty

Cadet
btw, even if you get over this hump, you'll need additional memory for Plex. 8GB is the minimum requirement for a basic filer.

OK, I will buy a couple more sticks. I thought I was told that the processor was the most important and 8GB was sufficient but I have a couple more slots so I can bump it to 16GB.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot

I attached a photo of it.

My processor is the i7-7700 LGA1151
My Motherboard is ASUS Prime H270M-PLUS
I don't think the "no suitable dump device" message is a fatal error. Are you saying you weren't able to install FreeNAS 9.x at all?

Jwesty

Cadet
Yes it stalls on this part. I let it sit for an entire night and it just stays here. I was able to get 10 beta 2 to install but I couldn't get either 9.3 or 9.10.2-U1 to get past this point.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hmmm... your screenshot shows "GEOM_RAID5: Module loaded, version..."

Have you configured your disks into a RAID5 array in some way? Or were these disks formerly used in a RAID5 array? If the disks aren't clean, you may need to wipe them with gpart or some such.

But I'm really suspicious that I see RAID5 here where it shouldn't be. FreeNAS doesn't use RAID5, and shouldn't be used with a RAID controller. These are plugged into the mobo's SATA ports, correct?

Jwesty

Cadet
Ohhhh I think I may know what happened. I think the BIOS had a setting for Raid enabled. I will disable when I get home and try again.

Jwesty

Cadet
Hmmm... your screenshot shows "GEOM_RAID5: Module loaded, version..."

Have you configured your disks into a RAID5 array in some way? Or were these disks formerly used in a RAID5 array? If the disks aren't clean, you may need to wipe them with gpart or some such.

But I'm really suspicious that I see RAID5 here where it shouldn't be. FreeNAS doesn't use RAID5, and shouldn't be used with a RAID controller. These are plugged into the mobo's SATA ports, correct?

Well, I'm not sure what is going on. I just bought 2 SanDisk 32GB USB drives and tried this again with 9.10.2-U1 and it did the same thing. It hangs up right there and won't do anything. I'm confused.

Tristan Fiske

Dabbler
I'm having a similar issue. I simply can't get past boot, I install everything correctly but it just won't boot, no matter what kind of disk I use

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Ohhhh I think I may know what happened. I think the BIOS had a setting for Raid enabled. I will disable when I get home and try again.
I'm having a similar issue. I simply can't get past boot, I install everything correctly but it just won't boot, no matter what kind of disk I use
Are guys both setting the USB flash drive as the boot device in the BIOS? Just asking... :)

Do you have a CD-ROM drive in your systems? If you do, you might try burning an image of the installation ISO to a CD and install from that.

If you want to pursue the matter further, file a bug report here: bugs.freenas.org

EDIT: Are you using USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 ports or devices? FreeBSD (and therefore FreeNAS) is known to have intermittent problems with USB 3.0. When I booted my systems from USB drives, I used an inexpensive 16GB SanDisk Cruzer Fit USB 2.0 drive in a USB 2.0 port.

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
EDIT: Are you using USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 ports or devices? FreeBSD (and therefore FreeNAS) is known to have intermittent problems with USB 3.0.
I thought that was resolved with the switch to 9.10 and the base OS update to 10.3.

I'm wondering if this is a hardware incompatibility issue. The hardware the OP is trying to install on is brand new and as far as I can remember the first Kaby Lake/200 series system someone has tried to install on.

You've provided absolutely no info to help resolve your problem.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I thought that was resolved with the switch to 9.10 and the base OS update to 10.3.
Perhaps so... I was fishin' for an explanation. :smile:
I'm wondering if this is a hardware incompatibility issue. The hardware the OP is trying to install on is brand new and as far as I can remember the first Kaby Lake/200 series system someone has tried to install on.
This. I can't find anything to suggest that FreeBSD supports this brand-spankin' new CPU.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
The new CPU possibly being unsupported is a good reason to file a bug report; perhaps the devs know of a kernel tweak to make it work, or some such.

Tristan Fiske

Dabbler
My Issue is that it installs perfectly fine, everything gets installed onto a usb 2.0 32gb flash drive and I put it in a usb 2.0 slot in my HP DL380 G5 server. install goes fine, but now it doesn't boot to anything. it just hangs on boot.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
My Issue is that it installs perfectly fine, everything gets installed onto a usb 2.0 32gb flash drive and I put it in a usb 2.0 slot in my HP DL380 G5 server. install goes fine, but now it doesn't boot to anything. it just hangs on boot.
Would you please start a new thread and post your complete system information per the forum rules, so people will see your problem instead of it being buried in this thread?

FWIW, I've searched the forum and found a few references to your system model and it seems that some folks have problems with the stock RAID adapter.

And, just checking... you DID configure the USB drive in the BIOS as the boot device, right? :)

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Status
Not open for further replies.