9.3 -> 9.10 Upgrade Stability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick779

Contributor
I hate to start a thread like this, but ive been pretty far out of the loop once I got my 9.3 box running as desired for a bit over a year now with email reports, scheduled scrubs, and a few other notification scripts.

Ive come to a point where Plex can no longer update or work through the web version, as im stuck at Plex 1.3.3 in 9.3, and despite upgrading my pkg/ports I cant seem to upgrade it. Long story short, it appears I need a 9.10 jail to use the newer versions, and from what ive read I need 9.10 host to run a 9.10 jail.

Im just nervous that im going to have some unrecoverable error when switching to the 9.10 stable train and upgrading my pools.

Am I just getting nervous over nothing, or is it pretty safe to just switch the train and update?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The only catch is that you may need to redo your jails, bit it sounds like that's something you need to do, anyway.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
The way I upgrade is to save my config. Buy a new usb, install freenas 9.10.2-U3 to the new usb, boot the new usb keeping the old one in a safe place. Then upload your config file. You will have to double check your email settings, ups settings and replication settings because keys and passwords don't stay in the config file. The advantages to that is your USB won't fail during upgrade, you have a safe fall back and quick recovery.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

nick779

Contributor
The only catch is that you may need to redo your jails, bit it sounds like that's something you need to do, anyway.

Yeah, that I can handle, just didnt want to chance any data in the main pools.
Just curious though. If I blew away the jail, and tried to clone a snapshot of that jail, would I be able to restore an old one?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You can create the new jail along side the old jail after you upgrade and both will continue to function. Once you get plex installed in the new jail you can copy your config and metadata over to the new jail, confirm proper function and then delete the old jail.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1248942/#Comment_1248942

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm not sure I understand the sequence of actions you're thinking of...

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You can create the new jail along side the old jail after you upgrade and both will continue to function. Once you get plex installed in the new jail you can copy your config and metadata over to the new jail, confirm proper function and then delete the old jail.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1248942/#Comment_1248942
This is exactly what I did. Basically the upgrade will not break your old jail. So you keep using the old Plex, create a new jail, install Plex and when you're ready do the big swap to the new Plex jail.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I'm not sure I understand the sequence of actions you're thinking of...
When you upgrade from FreeNAS 9.3 to FreeNAS 9.10 and create a new jail it downloads the 10.3 template and creates the jail from the new template. The old jails based on the 9.3 template will continue to function along with the newly created 10.3 jail(s).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
When you upgrade from FreeNAS 9.3 to FreeNAS 9.10 and create a new jail it downloads the 10.3 template and creates the jail from the new template. The old jails based on the 9.3 template will continue to function along with the newly created 10.3 jail(s).
My comment is missing a much-needed quote. I was referring to post #4:
Just curious though. If I blew away the jail, and tried to clone a snapshot of that jail, would I be able to restore an old one?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Gotcha, makes sense now. :)

adrianwi

Guru
I went from 9.3.1 to 9.10.1-U4 over the weekend and was surprised how painless the process was.

Manual update wouldn't work, but copying ISO file to USB and installing from that worked fine with everything in place after reloading saved config.db

Plex and ownCloud jails continued to work as before, but OpenVPN didn't so had to recreate that, but it seems happy to have jails based on both the 9.3 and 10.3 templates. Havent tried up to update any yet, but if they don't work I can just rebuild using the new template.

If you're using VirtualBox, don't go beyond 9.10.1-U4!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I went from 9.3.1 to 9.10.1-U4 over the weekend and was surprised how painless the process was.

Manual update wouldn't work, but copying ISO file to USB and installing from that worked fine with everything in place after reloading saved config.db

Plex and ownCloud jails continued to work as before, but OpenVPN didn't so had to recreate that, but it seems happy to have jails based on both the 9.3 and 10.3 templates. Havent tried up to update any yet, but if they don't work I can just rebuild using the new template.

If you're using VirtualBox, don't go beyond 9.10.1-U4!
You can't update the 9.3 jails they do not have fixed being backported to them.

nick779

Contributor
Well so far so good, 9.3-whatever the latest update was to 9.10-U3 went super smooth. Only issue ive run into is that I cant HTTPS:// into the nas anymore, gives me a cert error. Im assuming Ill just need to make a new one.

Edit: Yup, needed new CA and new Cert. All good

Status
Not open for further replies.