FreenNAS w/82579 NIC causing timeout on separate server w/same NIC chipset

Status
Not open for further replies.

silent

Cadet
I recently moved my FreeNAS server to new hardware after a power supply failure in an old box, a Dell Optiplex 755. There were no issues with that for almost a year. After bringing the FreeNAS server back online in the new hardware my ESXi server started getting timeouts. The hardware is currently:
ESXi 6 = Dell 9010 w/82579LM
FreeNas 9.10 = Dell 990 w/82579LM

So same NIC chipset in both. Both are also updated with the latest bios, and statically set with different IP's.

Here's where it gets interesting.

I noticed the ESX server was dropping out occasionally when connected to a guest running on there. So running a ping -t to the ESX from my desktop I saw that every 5 or 6 pings would run clean then it would time out for 5 or 6, then repeat. I isolated my desktop and the ESX server on a separate switch and didn't have any dropouts. As soon as I connected the 2nd switch to the first the timeouts would start again. That's when I started pulling cables and determined that when the FreeNAS server was disconnected the timeouts stopped to the ESX server. I started 2 ping -t windows side by side on my desktop and found that when the FreenNAS was replying the ESX server was timing out, and when the ESX was replying the FreeNAS was dropping out, perfectly mirroring each other. I have 2 other 990 desktops on the network with Windows 10 and those NICs aren't effecting the ESX server when they're online, just the FreeNAS box.

Anyone ever seen this before, or have any idea where I should be looking? I'm totally at a loss as to why the FreeNAS server is causing the ESX box to timeout, BSD network troubleshooting just isn't my thing. Since I swapped the drives and boot USB from the old server to the new hardware without changing any settings in the FreeNAS console should I just reinstall 9.10 from scratch? I don't currently have any gig nic's that I can put into the FreeNAS server, just some old 10/100 ones, so I'd really like to figure out the issue with the integrated nic to keep the network speeds up.

** Update
Found a forgotten usb nic and connected it to the FreeNAS and not seeing the issue. So definitely something specific to the chipset and not a configuration problem within FreeNAS itself. Something OS driver related either on the FreeNAS or ESX server.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.