Totaly confused MPIO vs LACP on ESX?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizmo_oO

Dabbler
Hi,
i try to find out what is the best option for me but now i more confused then bevor. Hope somebody cen help me with this.
My Goal is simple:

I need more output Speed on my Freenas!

MY config is also simple:

1 FreeNAs Server with 2x NICS
1 ESX Host with 2x NICS
1 Manged Switch (Unifi 8 Port)

At the Moment my Config is:

The ESX Host hast a ISCASI Connection to the FreeNAS system.

The Problem:

I use only 1 NIC at the Freenas side and 1 NIC at the ESX Side so the Speed is "only 1GB/s".

How can i use the second NIC to increase the Speed?! Should i do this over MPIO ISCASI or over LACP!?!

THX

Gizmo

Last edited:

bigphil

Patron
Increasing the speed is not what those technologies do...they will increase bandwidth so you can fit more down the pipe at the same time if you have multiple machines accessing it. If you need a speed increase, you need faster networking, i.e. 10Gb networking.

Gizmo_oO

Dabbler
Ok, sorry, then let me explain th other way:

I have several VM´s running on this ESX and i need that the VM´s had better perfomance, so i think i need more bandwith on the VM´s :)

bigphil

Patron
Then in your case you should use MPIO, as LACP isn't supported with iSCSI. There are tons of guides out there on how to configure MPIO with FreeNAS. Google search it.

Gizmo_oO

Dabbler
ok, thx for the info. One last question, if i use MPIO i have to set up 2 subnets etc.... is it still posible to use SMB? To share ?
Beacuse the two NICS are in use etc....

bigphil

Patron
Yes, as long as one subnet is accessible from the clients, you can have the SMB service listen on that interface too.

Status
Not open for further replies.