BUILD Considerations physically migrating Freenas VM (with 8x RDM's) to new server in ESXi5

Status
Not open for further replies.

vibe666

Dabbler
I currently have my NAS as a Freenas 8 VM in ESXi5 with 8x 2tb physical disks mounted in ESX as RDM's presented as JBOD on my RAID controller directly to the Freenas VM as a single raidz2 pool.

The hardware currently is a base model HP ML110 G6 (a 2.8Ghz G6950 CPU & 8GB RAM) with the VM's residing on a separate HDD.

The plan is to move to a much beefier ML150 G6 with 16gb of RAM, a pair of quad core Xeon X5570's and 12 DIMM slots in total for plenty of room for extra memory as well as a 250gb SSD to put the active VM's on and a 320gb WD Caviar Blue as an extra datastore for ISO's and offline VM's etc.

Another side effect of the bigger host is that I'll have room for some hot swap drive bays, so I was planning on two 5 bay 3.5" enclosures either from Icydock or Startech or whoever makes something decent.

My plan is just to move the disks into the enclosures, plug everything in and migrate everything in ESX to the new server. I'm comfortable with the ESX side of things, however I'm wondering how sensitive Freenas is going to be (if at all) to the physical disks being in different ports, or if I need to test and make sure that the RDM for each disk appears to freenas on the same port as it was before the move?

will freenas recognise the disks regardless of which physical port they are connected to or can I just throw all the disks into the enclosures, connect the sata cables and it'll know what's what?

Status
Not open for further replies.