Installing FreeNAS on a FreeBSD host

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sol42

Dabbler
Okay, here's the scenario. I'm building me a new FreeNAS box on a c2750 intel server soon. Given the horsepower and ability to do all kinds of virtualization with the equipment I'm purchasing, I'd like to have FreeNAS running as a guest with direct disk access to the raid I will create. Many forums talk about using ESX host to do this and that is still an option (if ESX still has a free home use version). However, given I'm already going to be running FreeBSD (i.e. what FreeNAS is built on), I feel it would be a better situation to simply set it up in a jail.

So is it possible to install FreeNAS on a FreeBSD jail? If so, are there already tutorials written on how to do this and provide FreeNAS direct control of the hard drives for the RaidZ? If not, are there tutorials available for setting up ESX to give FreeNAS direct control of physical hard drives as RDM's?

Thank you again for all your help and setting me straight to not continue to run my FreeNAS on non-ECC memory =)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Why not do the FreeBSD stuff in a FreeNAS Jail?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
And to add to your comment about "many forums talk about using ESX host to do this" if you read you'll find that FreeNAS + ESXi can be a disaster too. So consider yourself warned and don't be upset if your data suddenly disappears.

Status
Not open for further replies.