Physically Connecting Servers to FreeNAS

JohnTechGuy

Cadet
Hello everyone. I'm in the process of planning a two node, ESXi cluster that uses FreeNAS for shared storage. Before moving forward, I have a question I'm hoping someone will be kind enough to help me with.

To explain, I have three Lenovo x3650 M5 (5462) servers. The first two are identical. They each run ESXi on a pair of mirrored 300GB spinning hard drives, and have no additional internal storage. The third server, which would be the FreeNAS machine, has 3, internal, JBOD HBAs, each of which have 8, 600GB spinning hard drives connected to them via direct connect backplanes, for a total of 24 disks.

My question is, once FreeNAS aggregates the 24 hard drives via software, will a single, external HBA, in this case, Lenovo's N2225, in each of the three servers be enough to provide storage connectivity to the two ESXi hosts, or will all three servers need multiple HBAs due to each card being limited to 8 physical hard drives?

https://lenovopress.com/tips1069-serveraid-m5210-sas-sata-controller

Thank you in advance for your time!

Jessep

Patron
NAS = Network Attached Storage. You would connect them with network cables.

JohnTechGuy

Cadet
Thank you for replying, Jessep. It seems I may need to back up a step or two.

I thought I read somewhere that direct attachment was possible in FreeNAS. Is that incorrect?

Jessep

Patron
DAS = Direct Attach Storage, this is what is internal to the FreeNAS server. Connection TO the FreeNAS server would be through networking.

If you want higher transfer rates you can use larger network pipes, 10Gb/40Gb/100Gb.

For ESXi iSCSI attached hosts you will want to use striped mirrors and/or SSD storage in FreeNAS. Depending on your performance requirements you may also want a SLOG device to improve write performance when using sync=always.

If you don't understand any of the above you may want to consider not using FreeNAS as it would be difficult to install, configure, and maintain without much greater knowledge.

JohnTechGuy

Cadet
Thank you, Jessep and danb35. I was so focused on using the 12Gb SSDs I have to get as much speed as possible, I seem to have crossed my signals by assuming a 12Gb HBA would be the only way to go.

Jessep, while I have quite a bit of reading left to do, I understand everything you mentioned above. I appreciate your suggestions.

danb35, your "FreeNAS Configuration Guide" is now on my reading list.

Thanks again to you both for helping a FreeNAS noob!