FreeNAS8 convert

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncsa

Cadet
Hello and thanks to the dev team for FreeNAS8.

I have been running FreeNAS 0.7.2 5226 since it became available and FreeNAS for a couple of years and it has been a very good performer for my use - a simple home NAS for sharing among a handful of Macs and PC machines - now no PCs :).

HW
Gigabyte EP45-Extreme
QX9650
8Gb RAM
PCI VGA GPU
2x 3Ware 9650se 4ML
8x Seagate 1.5TB - array ZFS2
1x RR4320
4x 1TB - array ZFS1

I was running 0.7.2 5226 from and IDE SSD drive but had to move this onto an extension ribbon cable to get the RR4320 card in. On a restart the IDE drive lost its format or had become corrupted so the decision to try FN8 and import the ZFS2 array was made.

I selected FreeNAS RC1 and this was an easy install onto a usb drive fast 8Gb, setting up accounts and AFP services, name was simple so the network thought the NAS was back on-line, except the array had not been imported.

Finally used the automatic import, the ZFS array was found and imported, recreated the shares and life was back to normal.

Issues I am working through are to do with user accounts and permissions - this I think is a layer-8 problem. I also have to get my head around the logs and report interpretation.

Overall performance has improved especially with high IO transfers and copies, improved memory usage according to the reports. I have had a raid controller reset one time.

Thanks again for a great step up. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.