FreeNas 0.7 config to FreeNas 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rshield

Cadet
I have been running a FreeNas 0.7 NAS for a while now and had an issue with a UFS software RAID 5 drive yesterday. I reset the server and it came good and was rebuilding. I also tried fixing a RAID 1 array of USB sticks i also have, and accidentally managed to format the USB drive with the operating system.

I took a backup of the configuration file before i did a reboot, is it possible to install FreeNAS 8 and use the config file from the 0.7 backup and gain access to my files again?

Or will i have to try and dig up an old FreeNAS 0.7.2 (i think) disc and reinstall then replace the config file? Then i'll be able to backup all the files onto other storage drives i have so i can upgrade to FreeNAS 8.

paleoN

Wizard
I took a backup of the configuration file before i did a reboot, is it possible to install FreeNAS 8 and use the config file from the 0.7 backup and gain access to my files again?
It's not currently possible to upgrade using a 0.7 config. According to ticket #1694 it should be possible to mount your software RAID 5 via the cli and copy your files off though.

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
The FreeNAS .7 config, if I recall correctly, is XML, and the FreeNAS 8 one is a database. There is no automated upgrade path between them. FreeNAS 8 does not support software RAID 5 from the auto-importer, so you'll have to use the .7.2 restore route or some command-line-fu.

Status
Not open for further replies.