Full restore from TimeMachine supported with FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixeltje

Dabbler
Hi,

I'm currently doing some research to decide what to buy and what to use to replace my old NAS system, which has died last week. One of the most important purposes for the NAS system will be to backup my mac using TimeMachine. I've read several blogs and how-to's and know how to enable TimeMachine with FreeNAS 8. The only thing I want to know now is whether or not I can restore my mac using the backup from my NAS.

Google doesn't answer that for FreeNAS 8, allthough I found out it is possible with FreeNAS 0.7. Due to new features and better ZFS implementation i'd like to use FreeNAS 8 rather than 0.7
Can anyone tell me whether or not it's possible to restore a TimeMachine backup using FreeNAs 8?

Thanks,

seggerman

Dabbler
Hi,

if the TimeMachine is set up correctly on FN8 (i.e. the FN8 box looks to OSX like a Timecapsule) the backup/restore will work just as it were a "real" Timecapsule. I selectively restored files from my setup, restored to other macs and did a "restore from TC" during a fresh install.

So yes it works.

Alexander

P.S. I'm running 8.0.3

Pixeltje

Dabbler

By 'if the TimeMachine is set up correctly on FN8 (i.e. the FN8 box looks to OSX like a Timecapsule)' you mean to enable AFP, set the share options to TimeMachine etc?

seggerman

Dabbler
Yes,

thats what I mean. There are some posts here stating that you have to set "defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1" please disregard those, since with AFP and the TimeMachine setting everything should be perfect. One thing that you have to watch out for are the permissions on the drive/directory.

Alexander

Pixeltje

Dabbler

I've read about setting read write permissions for all users and groups (nouser and nogroup?) for the whole volume to get it working?

I'm still figuring out whether or not i need to make one volume with multiple datasets or multiple volumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.