Greetings from Canada, fellow nerds!

benwhammin

Cadet
Hey all!

First post to the forum. Just wanted to say hi and wonder if anyone could offer any constructive criticism to my build. Details of the build are in my sig. (It's really just my old primary rig with a handfull of HDDs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

I have the Primary zfs pool running a weekly replication task to my Backup pool (which is only one drive), as well as snapshots scheduled as a weekly task. How should I setup SMART tests for my drives? Is there a standard that works well? I have 6 drives in the rig, so I was thinking of scheduling a long test on one drive per week sequentially. So thats a test on every drive once every 1.5 months.

Plex server is running in a jail on my primary pool, as well as a Unifi controller for my AP. Is running your primary array as storage for the jails considered common practice, or is it better to have a dedicated pool?

My plans are to run pfsense on a VM in Truenas. I feel like I know most of the caveats, as I had it previously running on a VM, but wonder if anyone that has had more experience with the truenas virtualization environment could offer any wisdom.

Again, any and all criticism is welcome to the setup! Is zfs1 with a dedicated scheduled replication enough? Should i have setup my primary array as zfs2, or is that overkill redundancy for a home user?... With that being said, I don't see myself buying enterprise level server hardware any time soon (even though ECC ram would be really nice... sigh, financial priorities)

PS: Prior to this setup I had everything running as seperate VMs on proxmox (truenas, ubuntu for plex server and ubiquiti, and pfsense). I always had issues with large transfers running from truenas through my smb share, where i would get intermittent timeouts on the transfer, leading to corrupted data on the SMB client when the transfer was complete. Stability of the NAS, which is the primary function of this builld, has been much better since running truenas natively.

Cheers!

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Greetings, frozen Northerner.

I do have to ask one quick question about the drives in your build - did you check to ensure that they aren't the much-maligned SMR type of the WD Red drives? Those have a well-deserved bad reputation for use with ZFS.

benwhammin

Cadet
Not frozen yet, but soon enough lol.

Unfortunately I had already bought 2 of the SMR drives, not knowing about the issues with them. The other two WD 4TB drives, as well as the 8TB backup disk are CMR. Live and learn, I guess.