FreeNAS Won't Boot - Stuck at GRUB

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdenlinger

Cadet
I am running the stable train of FreeNAS 11. FreeNAS became unresponsive from web GUI, rebooted FreeNAS. After reboot, the system is stuck showing "GRUB _" and will not advance any further.
  • Install is on a PNY 16 GB USB stick.
  • I downloaded a new copy of FreeNAS 11 U1 (to match the most recent backup I have) installed on a new 16 GB Verbatim USB drive. System still only shows "GRUB _" on boot.
  • Tried different USB ports.
Any ideas on how I can get my install of FreeNAS to boot?

Last edited by a moderator:

m0nkey_

MVP
Try a different brand of USB drive. The current recommended one is the Sandisk Ultra Fit. I've been using two of theses in my system for a year now.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I am running the stable train of Freenas 11. Freenas became unresponsive from web GUI, rebooted Freenas. After reboot, the system is stuck showing "GRUB _" and will not advance any further.
  • Install is on a PNY 16 GB USB stick.
  • I downloaded a new copy of Freenas 11 U1 (to match the most recent backup I have) installed on a new 16 GB Verbatim USB drive. System still only shows "GRUB _" on boot.
  • Tried different USB ports.
Any ideas on how I can get my install of Freenas to boot?
Is this a system that ever booted into FreeNAS or is this a new build?

jdenlinger

Cadet
Yes, the system was running 11.0 U4 successfully until I rebooted the machine.

jdenlinger

Cadet
Try a different brand of USB drive. The current recommended one is the Sandisk Ultra Fit. I've been using two of theses in my system for a year now.
Went to Best Buy and purchased a Sandisk Ultra (32GB) installed FreeNas 11.0 U1 and it still won't boot. I am receiving an "Insert boot media and press a key" message now, even though the only Boot Device listed is the USB:SanDisk.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Are you using UEFI or "Legacy" boot mode in the system firmware settings? What did you select when you did the installation of FreeNAS?

jdenlinger

Cadet
When I created the new flash drive I tried both install methods.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
What are the settings in the system BIOS? The thing about UEFI is it can get stuck looking at the wrong media because the installer can make setting changes to the UEFI and a subsequent install might not alter those settings. It is best for FreeNAS to be set in Legacy in the BIOS and to do an Legacy install. It is more reliable that way.

jdenlinger

Cadet
Attached some photos of our system BIOS. This was a working system and I had not changed any settings in BIOS prior to the system getting stuck on boot, only showing "GRUB _"

Attachments

• IMG_9138.JPG
    IMG_9138.JPG
    539.7 KB · Views: 547
  • IMG_4447.JPG
    IMG_4447.JPG
    512.7 KB · Views: 591
  • IMG_4363.JPG
    IMG_4363.JPG
    540 KB · Views: 582
  • IMG_7672.JPG
    IMG_7672.JPG
    485.9 KB · Views: 607
  • IMG_2375.JPG
    IMG_2375.JPG
    370.8 KB · Views: 579

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I don't think you should be forcing the USB drive to emulate a FDD (floppy drive) as that could be part of the problem.
The Asus website lists this board as being Windows 8 ready, so you know it isn't new, and it has audio ports built in, so you know it isn't a server board. I would not be shocked if an older board started to malfunction. It could have a low battery (the coin cell on the system board) and it may have lost a setting. I have seen some odd malfunctions over the years.
The thing I would try first is to have the USB drive as a hard disk (I am not sure what the options are) and try to boot that way. If still not working, keeping the setting at hard disk, try another installation to the USB in that mode and another boot attempt.
By changing to another USB stick, you have somewhat eliminated that as a fault, and if the system ever booted before it should be able to boot again. Unless there is a hardware failure of the system board. You might also check the voltage on the coin cell and if it is low, replace it. This will clear all BIOS (UEFI) settings back to factory, so you will have to reset anything that needs setting, but it may have already gotten scrambled if the voltage was low and that may be the cause of it not booting to start with.
As long as you don't format any of your array disks, your data will be safe, we just have to find a way to get the system back up. In a super worst case scenario, you can put a new system board in. It will not prevent you from addressing your existing data.
Please post back to let us know what you find.

Edit- When I say 'new' I don't mean brand new, it could be used and it does not need to be just like what you have. All FreeNAS needs is compatible hardware and a way to talk to the disks.

jdenlinger

Cadet
I changed the USB drive to emulate a Hard Drive. I also found a setting in BIOS that allowed me to change the order of the Hard Drives. I moved the new SanDisk USB drive to the top of the list. I was able to get FreeNas to boot. I then restored from a backup config file.

I still believe my initial problems were caused by a failed PYN USB drive. I have had drives fail and replaced them without issue in the past. I believe something changed with BIOS & Freenas when using a new USB drive this time around.

Glad I am back up and running.

Attachments

• IMG_3663.JPG
    IMG_3663.JPG
    520.6 KB · Views: 679
  • IMG_0254.JPG
    IMG_0254.JPG
    537.4 KB · Views: 472
Status
Not open for further replies.