FreeNAS wont boot. Cant find /boot/zfsloader...

schoolpost

Dabbler
Hello everyone,

Caught a bit off guard by my network storage which was causing Windows to hang in the file explorer.

Went to go reboot my FreeNAS box ( hard reset switch. ) and nothing changed, could not access the web interface.

Attached a display and this is what I'm seeing:

STSBYEE.jpg

Not really sure where to start, but I'm guessing the USB I had FreeNAS installed on has died?

I hope my main pool is still intact.

How should I approach?

danb35

Hall of Famer

schoolpost

Dabbler
I'd guess the same.

Do a clean install to a fresh boot device, upload your saved backup of the config database, and Bob's your proverbial uncle.
Any extra pre-cautions I should take given:
1. I my latest config .db file was from 3 years ago ( not sure which version of FreeNAS I had at the time. )
2. I'm not sure which FreeNAS version this current install had on it. ( 11.5-U2? is that a thing? ) Is it ok to jump to the newer/current verisons?

I'm fairly paranoid of messing up my main pool, it should be ok to unplug the disk connections from my HBA before installation, and then re-connect them after I complete install?

danb35

Hall of Famer

schoolpost

Dabbler
Installed the latest TrueNAS Core ( on an SSD this time! ), used my old configuration .db from 2020.

As far I can tell everything is back up and running like normal. Disaster averted...phew....