FreeNAS won't boot after CPU upgrade

GlueFactoryBJJ

Dabbler
Sometimes reading a manual is not a bad idea. The FreeNAS manual is available by a click on the documentation button in the topmenu of the forum. FreeNAS is a very involved system and asks for users to aquire some knowledge to get the best out of it. For the most functions the manual is a wealth of information.

Paragraph 2.5 of the manual for example deals with upgrade of FreeNAS while paragraph 2.5.2 handles some tasks to perform before you upgrade. Tasks like saving the config file.

By the way. If you do a clean install and upload your config file you won't need to do an import. But please do some reading before you continue. It makes you feel better.

Ok, thanks! I don't mind reading a manual. Unfortunately, the times I have tried to search the manual, I, far more often than not, haven't been able get the information I need.

I'll take a look and see what I can find.

Scott

GlueFactoryBJJ

Dabbler
if you download the current config I would think that it will be from the hdd install not the current config from using the ssd, unless nothing has changed very much. Knowing this I would try to get the config from the system dataset listed above as that will be the config from the day before it went dirtyside up, unless the system dataset was on the ssd...

Wouldn't the system dataset be on the boot drive (SSD)?

I don't think much, if anything, has changed since I copied the FreeNAS install from the HDD I'm using now to the SSD that wouldn't boot properly. It appears to be similar enough that all of my connected systems see it and accept it as is. So, would I be safe in assuming that the HDD system is similar enough to go ahead and use it for a re-install?

Scott

Tsaukpaetra

Patron
The system dataset is only on the boot drive until you create your first pool. FreeNAS automatically does this to help avoid wearing down the boot drive in case it's a flash drive.

Using an old config is OK so long as you know what you changed since then. If you haven't changed shares, adjusted settings, or whatever, it's probably just as good as the latest config.

GlueFactoryBJJ

Dabbler
I'd like to thank everyone for their help! Kudos!

I'm going to double check to make sure I've gotten everything backed up and then do a fresh install of the OS with the "new" (used) CPU and mirrored SSDs (I had another of the same model laying around). I'll update everyone when I get the system back up. (Note: I'm definitely keeping this HDD around in case of further problems.)

Thanks again!

Scott

PS. Just added an avatar. It was an animated GIF file and I REALLY wish the animation worked here on the forums... :(