SOLVED FreeNAS with C2570D4I won't boot anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbob1016

Explorer
I can get the machine to boot for a few seconds, then it cuts off. I have tried a new Power Supply, and that doesn't help. Nor does removing all the drives/drives power. I swapped RAM that I know works to every memory slot, and it still won't boot. I can get to my IPMI, but the genius that I am, I forgot my IPMI password. I've seen things suggesting resetting using FreeDOS, but that requires getting it to boot. I've tried removing all power, and removing the CMOS battery, but that didn't work either. I'd appreciate any suggestions, or if you think I have to call it, and get a replacement. It's just shy of 2 years old, and ASRock's site seems to say they warranty for 1 year.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's probably a known issue. The BMC has a bug that causes it to write to the EEPROM every time the OS pings the watchdog, wearing it out insanely quickly.
Eventually, the write fails and the BMC's kernel panics. Without a functional BMC, system firmware refuses to boot, as the management engine is compromised.

edit: Ninja'd, see above.

bobbob1016

Explorer
It's probably a known issue. The BMC has a bug that causes it to write to the EEPROM every time the OS pings the watchdog, wearing it out insanely quickly.
Eventually, the write fails and the BMC's kernel panics. Without a functional BMC, system firmware refuses to boot, as the management engine is compromised.

edit: Ninja'd, see above.

So... I'm SOL and have to buy a new Mobo?

Omega

Dabbler
You might try to contact ASRock, they should be aware of the issue and might be willing to help even if you are outside of the warranty. Worth a try at least...

bobbob1016

Explorer
You might try to contact ASRock, they should be aware of the issue and might be willing to help even if you are outside of the warranty. Worth a try at least...

Thanks. I saw someone say a 3 year warranty on the forum post you posted, so I will try them. I will email them soon, and go from there.

I'll also look at others I guess. It's not good that the IPMI/BMC chip can knock the whole thing offline though.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah. For starters, I think they're actually doing two or three year warranties. Aditionally, with some insistence, they've been exchanging boards out of warranty.

Omega

Dabbler
Yeah. For starters, I think they're actually doing two or three year warranties. Aditionally, with some insistence, they've been exchanging boards out of warranty.

Ah, neat, wasn't sure what warranty period ASRock has. So, yes, assuming that the death of the board is due to the BMC bug, there's probably a good chance to get this sorted. Good luck!

bobbob1016

Explorer
Thanks all! I will mark as solved, and send this RMA if they allow, otherwise I'll look at other boards.

I *guess* if this had to happen, it happened at a good time as I'm about to be gone on vacation for a bit, so shipping times won't be that bad.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If you hit a brick wall, try contacting a guy at ASRock Rack named "William" (or some similar name), he's been helping a number of people with dead C2750/C2550 boards.

nojohnny101

Wizard
what @Ericloewe said, if you don't get a response through the form on their website, then just contact him directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.