Freenas vs Nexenta performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

INCSlayer

Contributor
I thought @jgreco was our deepest darkest fears combined? or is that @cyberjock?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
FreeNAS uses a python middleware which can be resource hungry at times so I don't think you are looking at apples to apples with Nexenta.

I don't really see how that matters in the bigger picture. Python is slow. It's resource hungry. It's single threaded. But the python stuff that you see running really doesn't do "heavy lifting" except on bootup. Even when you are doing stuff in the WebGUI, are you really going to argue that using another language that is multithreaded, resource efficient, and fast is *really* going to make the difference between an OS you use and an OS you don't use? Really? Python code simply does stuff like create the config files and such. It doesn't impact the performance of the actuall protocols and such themselves.

I think you've horribly overestimated how important the "python" part of the code is with relation to what its job is and performance.

Mlovelace

Guru
I don't really see how that matters in the bigger picture. Python is slow. It's resource hungry. It's single threaded. But the python stuff that you see running really doesn't do "heavy lifting" except on bootup. Even when you are doing stuff in the WebGUI, are you really going to argue that using another language that is multithreaded, resource efficient, and fast is *really* going to make the difference between an OS you use and an OS you don't use? Really? Python code simply does stuff like create the config files and such. It doesn't impact the performance of the actuall protocols and such themselves.

I think you've horribly overestimated how important the "python" part of the code is with relation to what its job is and performance.
Slow your roll there CJ. I use and enjoy freeNAS currently and was stating a fact that JKH has himself made on more than one occasion about python middleware. In fact the information provided about freeNAS 10 is that the middleware was rewritten and no longer uses python. Obviously another middleware was used for 10 for a reason, I'm not pulling this stuff out of my arse. I'm not saying that freeNAS isn't a good solution, just that it doesn't compare apples to apples with Nexenta.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
raw
statler_400x400.png

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Slow your roll there CJ. I use and enjoy freeNAS currently and was stating a fact that JKH has himself made on more than one occasion about python middleware. In fact the information provided about freeNAS 10 is that the middleware was rewritten and no longer uses python. Obviously another middleware was used for 10 for a reason, I'm not pulling this stuff out of my arse. I'm not saying that freeNAS isn't a good solution, just that it doesn't compare apples to apples with Nexenta.

Umm... FreeNAS 10 middleware is still python. There was, as far as I'm aware, never any intention of changing it. To change it would require the devs to use some new language and potentially learning said language.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Umm... FreeNAS 10 middleware is still python. There was, as far as I'm aware, never any intention of changing it. To change it would require the devs to use some new language and potentially learning said language.

Yeah, speaking as a software developer, learning a language isn't a big deal if there's a compelling reason to be using it.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
With Ubuntu you'll also be able to leverage the knowledge of the ubuntuforums community.
lol. Nurse!!! I need a pair of pliers and a bed pan! STAT!

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Eh?

Eh??

Eh???

I think you've confused "the python code in freenas 9 is slow and resource hungry" with "python is slow and resource hungry".
We have heretofore avoided programming language jihads in the FreeNAS forums. I think it would be nice if we continued such avoidance.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I think you've confused "the python code in freenas 9 is slow and resource hungry" with "python is slow and resource hungry".

No, he hasn't.

Caution: I write high performance highly optimized C code. Pretty much any interpreted language is easy to pick on. ;-)

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
No, he hasn't.

Caution: I write high performance highly optimized C code. Pretty much any interpreted language is easy to pick on. ;-)
Really. So do I.

INCSlayer

Contributor
ohh looks like a fight whos gonna win the green plushie or the puppet dictator?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
ohh looks like a fight whos gonna win the green plushie or the puppet dictator?
? I don't quite follow sir. I was observing that jgreco and I, who agree on most things, also have the same general profession.

Mlovelace

Guru
Well, the point was simply that nexenta which uses the illumos kernel and has a very different middleware and GUI doesn't compare apples to apples with freeNAS. I wasn't saying freeNAS can't do what nexenta can, it just might need a little more hardware to do it.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, the point was simply that nexenta which uses the illumos kernel and has a very different middleware and GUI doesn't compare apples to apples with freeNAS. I wasn't saying freeNAS can't do what nexenta can, it just might need a little more hardware to do it.

There's multiple variables at play but I think the FreeBSD kernel is a little less "optimized" for ZFS and the middleware was designed for programmer convenience rather than overall efficiency. The middleware might end up being swapped out to disk if it is too piggy, and that's not really a horrible thing, except that swap can fail and then kill processes. In the end I think FreeNAS ends up requiring a little more memory for similar operation.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Next just try to tell me java isn't an abomination and isn't slow and resource hungry... I need to laugh a bit :)

Status
Not open for further replies.