FreeNas upgrade 9.1.1 to 9.2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhdinah

Dabbler
I'm going to do this upgrade. The machine boots from a USB key. I've saved the configuration file offline to my desktop machine. From what I can determine from the user guide:

1) I can install the new FreeNas 9.2.1 on another key and then import the config file. -OR-
2) I can burn an upgrade ISO to a CDROM and run the upgrade software either from the command line or from the GUI.

My first question is about the second option - will this update the USB key? If so how do I make another copy for backup purposes? Personally I don't think this is possible.

It seems that for safety reasons that one would want to burn two new USB keys with the new release and then import the config file on each.

Considering, at least in the past, a strong emphasis has been made to use a USB key instead of a CDROM for reliability reasons. However the user guide seems to spend a lot of time discussing burning ISO to a disk rather than IMG files to a key.

My second question is when should one save a new configuration file? Should this be done when one makes a modification through the GUI ... or is something that should be done daily/weekly/monthly ... etc.

If someone could please check my reasoning here I'd sure appreciate it.

Thank you all very much for your inputs! Upgrades are always a scary thing when done for the first time.

Regards, Robert :smile:

Yatti420

Wizard
All you need is a backed up config to restore.. You can create many USBs with the specific freenas image you desire.. Now.. With new versions of FreeNAS 9.2.1.5-6 + I believe there is a new file called .usb.. I've had some issues with it as it appears to be similiar to a cdrom install.. With 9.2.1 it should still be an .img etc.. You would use these instructions to upgrade or create a new USB http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Burning_an_IMG_File

(

rhdinah

Dabbler
Thank you Yatti420 ... I've got my update up and running yesterday afternoon. It was effortless. Still don't know exactly when one should save a new configuration file. I suppose if you change anything in your config you should generate a new one then.

Yatti420

Wizard
There is a thread for doing that.. and a thread to back up nightly.. Not sure if its in my tips and tricks..

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.