Advice for upgrading without backup data for big NAS config

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3on

Cadet
Hi,

I've installed a FreeNAS 9.2.1 and i'm wondering if i should upgrade it to 9.2.1.8 ?

As my NAS has 24 TB total disk capacity, i can't follow the bold sentence in the FreeNAS 9.2.1 guide (section upgrade) : "Before performing an upgrade, always backup your configuration file and your data"

i can save my configuration file but not my data :( I'm using a NAS in order to store data from my computers... i haven't another NAS to backup my first one during upgrade...

A) so, what is your opinion ?
1) you should always built a NAS solution with two symmetrical configuration (2 x 24 TB) if you want to be sure
2) you should stick to your version 9.2.1 until you die (when FreeNAS will reach 17.1.4.7) ?
3) you could save only your configuration file *but* you have no guarantee to loose your data so better to follow point 2
4) be cool, there's a lot of people here that only save their config file and based their recovery on the twice FreeNAS config boot feature (old one and new installed => FreeNAS boot menu (F1 - new and F2 - previous)), available after the upgrade ?

B) if option 4, upgrade are always consistent (see option A.4 above) even if you have to wait during upgrade :
"During the reboot there may be a conversion of the previous configuration database to the new version
of the database. This happens during the “Applying database schema changes” line in the reboot cycle.
This conversion can take a long time to finish so be patient and the boot should complete normally"

What is the best action if, during this long time, you loose your current and you have only 5 minutes with your battery backup... ?

C) last question hero : i've noticed message during boot that indicate my volume are encrypted (AES). I think it's just drive protection level as i've not made any action in order to encrypt my volumes (no passphrase set or recovery key - but in boot log i see that it creates a private RSA key each time (for other purposes ?)). How to check that my volumes are not encrypted in order to ignore the following step : "If any volumes are encrypted, make sure that you have set the passphrase and have copies of the encryption key and the latest recovery key" ?

thanks for reading

hope you could help me with some advices,

regards,

n3on.

pjc

Contributor
Do you value your data?

Back it up.

RAID is not a backup.

How do you have your 24TB configured?

Status
Not open for further replies.